Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socalman18

possible mold problem??

socalman18
9 years ago

I have 5 week old plants growing indoors in a self watering system under a grow light. My only concern is the possible mold that is growing. If you look at my dirt in the picture, the lighter, Grey spots, are my point of concern. If anyone can help me out diagnose and give me tips on how to get rid of it, would be great. Thank you

Comments (5)

• ab2008
    9 years ago

Have you tried letting the soil dry out well enough? I've had it a time or two and keeping a fan on the plants/soil seemed to clear up any issues. Typically I noticed it more often when I was watering too often.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

I had a mold problem on nearly all the plants I started this year. That white fuzzy stuff is definitely mold. End result for me was not an issue though, but it could become one for you (in your stage). Try putting a fan on them to keep the topsoil dry, or maybe bottom watering.

( the mold forms from the top of the soil remaining moist, while not having enough air flow to prevent it from growing - one of the factors must be removed to inhibit its growth )

Jay

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

I believe what Jay says is accurate.

I started to see a white mold looking growth when I started my Habs this year (literally my first year so take it with a grain). I had them in four inch starter trays. Ended up separating the trays and watering from the bottom up making sure I never drenched the surface. The white stuff went away and my seedlings worked out great. Well so far, this is before I transplanted and they are still looking good tonight. In retrospect I think my starting soil was a tad moisture retentive?

Good Luck!

dj

This post was edited by djoy on Wed, May 28, 14 at 1:56

• socalman18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When am I able to transplant them into their own individual small pots? The small pots are about 3 1/2 inches wide and roughly 3 3/4 tall

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

I have read all sorts of answers to that question. Some go by the number of true leaves. Four pair, six pair... My Habanero seedlings were pretty close to being root bound in 4 inch pots with around ten true leaves (5 pair). Some pretty healthy roots were pressing against all sides and reaching the bottom not long after the picture you see above.

I am no pro but I would think you could probably move em now or pretty soon, into something a lot bigger than a 4 inch pot.

dj

This post was edited by djoy on Wed, May 28, 14 at 17:14

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations