Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

something weird going on with my reaper buds

judo_and_peppers
9 years ago

so one of my plants is doing something weird. in the picture you can see the pistils sticking out from the petals on flowers that have not yet opened. I have not seen any of the flowers open yet. is this some sort of genetic anomaly? I've never seen or heard of this before.

every bud on the plant looks like this.

Comments (8)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

That is strange, that would most certainty cause a higher probability of cross pollination since the flower has no pollen yet within itself, while the pistils are exposed to the pollen of your other peppers drifting in the wind. Hope someone has seen or knows what this is called, very odd for sure.

Mark

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

Definitely interesting. Usually you don't see that until the pod is formed.

Tim

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yeah something is wrong here. one thing it isn't doing, is setting pods. I'm not sure it even can be self pollinated if the flowers don't open. I may have to try my luck with cross pollinating on this guy just to get some pods to set. if that doesn't work out beautifully I might just trash it. it's not worth the extra work when I have 50+ other plants competing for limited space, and I have other reapers. well, at least one other reaper. note to self: plant more reapers.

• nc_crn
    9 years ago

If the stigma is exposed and dries out before it can get pollen into it then it won't set fruit. Plus, it's harder to self-pollinate itself when the stigma outgrows the bud so early in bud development.

The calyx on those buds look quite under-developed and not fully protecting/enclosing the buds given the size of the buds making it easier for that kind of emergence.

Given that you're in FL, I don't think I would chalk that one up as some kind of temperature or environmental thing...looks like you got a bit of a genetic freak there (no fault of breeding, especially from seed stock).

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Interesting thought NC, and seemingly quite valid... You may have an issue Judo, but if you have that many other plants it's not too much of a concern. (As I type that I realize how hard it is to give up though on such a healthy plant - hoping it does work out for ya at least)

Jay

• Armageddon
    9 years ago

what i would do still being this early in the season .......pop off the buds..... so the plant will put more energy into growing a little larger and hope the next set of buds mature in a orderly fashion ......but don't quote me on that i am just a noob stabbing in the dark (grin)

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

armageddon, if you're a noob, what the heck am I? a super noob? I guess it would make more sense to give the plant another chance to see if it can get it right, before I cut my losses.

on the plus side, I'm seeing sporadic pod set on several other plants, and one 2nd year brain is just covered in them.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

It is the year of WEIRD PEPPERS :)
    Two more similar post going on.
    Blame it on Aliens Conspiracy Theory. OR Al Gore. hehe