Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

coincidence or...

judo_and_peppers
9 years ago

I planted a marigold in the same pot as one of my overwintered brain strains, just sort of as an experiment. right now, that plant has 20-30 pods on it (it's the same one that had the wasp nest a few days ago). no other plant in the garden has more than 4 pods on it. most are in the same soil mix, same ferts, same amount of light, etc.

is this just some sort of coincidence, or should I seriously just plant a marigold in with every pepper plant? if these are the results I can expect I'm gonna get on that soon.

Comments (9)

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

I have no idea but if they could cross pollinate you could have a Gold Brain! That would be something... ha ha?
    Cant wait to see how this really turns out. pictures would be cool.

dj

• seysonn
    9 years ago

How about giving credit to the wasps ?:lol

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

I agree credit to the wasps, even though I would also have gotten rid of them. Theory wasps to stay cool on their nest tend to buzz their wings thus creating air flow as well as vibrating the plant enough to knock that pollen loose and bam peppers all over. :)

Another thought the marigold is attracting the bees and they visit your pepper flowers while they are at it.

This post was edited by habjolokia on Wed, May 28, 14 at 9:50

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Nuke the wasps and install a fan.
    I vote for the Marigold. I love those things. You could plant a couple more marigolds next to a couple more pepper plants and see how they do. Keep us posted and how about a picture of the pepper-Marigold pair?
    Bruce

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

if it's a picture you want, you've come to the right place.

the plant is drooping hard in the daytime heat, but it just rained last night so I know it doesn't need it again today. it's healthier than it looks in the pic.

it's funny, the ones in 5gal all droop so much during the day, every day, even if I just watered the day before. but the ones still in 2gal don't sag until like day 3-4. I don't get it.

and that wasp was only around less than a full day. I check on my plants multiple times a day, and he had just showed up the day I got rid of him, and at that point there were already a ton of peppers already changing colors.

and yes, this is the one that I've been selectively pruning to get him into a tree shape.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

"and yes, this is the one that I've been selectively pruning to get him into a tree shape."

If this is the only plant you are pruning like this (I don't know this for certain as I'm never on this particular forum) then I'd wager that that's most likely the reason why there are so many peppers on it. Not because of the marigold.

Rodney

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I'd shade the container to see if that stops it from wilting.
    Also, that's a lot of plant even for that 5-gallon pot...perhaps a drip-tray might be in order.

Josh

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I couldn't agree more with josh on the container size for that plant. Probably it is so badly root bounds that does not hold water a very long time. That on top of hot Florida weather.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Judo, that plant may very well need more water. I was having the same scenario - my 5 gals vs my 3 gals. All my 5gals are that size or larger, and needed about 1.5gallons/day of water. At first I chalked up the wilting to heat and sun, but when kept watered daily w the 1.5gal they stayed perked up the entire time. Mine are completely root bound in the pots, and the size of the canopies on the plants simply allows for excessive amounts of water loss - the pots just can't retain enough. I have just switched to a drip system to constantly water them (so I don't have to do the daily dance!) - and now they look firm all through the day.

Try the experiment on one of them with the added water - if it stays perked up then you can rule out the sun/heat factor.

BTW - your plants all look great though (here) and previous updates. How's the ole sauce business treating you lately too man?

Jay

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio