Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgardenernina

Jalapenos at their best or worst?

NewGardenerNina
10 years ago

Hello,

This is my first time growing Jalapeno peppers and I'm worried they might be too small for their age:

I planted the seeds on 2nd of March, so I estimate they are about 12 weeks now and around 18 cm tall.

Should I be concerned or are they ar their optimum size?
I would like to stay away from fertilizers if possible.

Thanks,

Comments (7)

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Hi NewGardenerNina,

I have not grown any Jalapenos so I do not know much about this variety.

You mentioned "I would like to stay away from fertilizers if possible." - you would like to use only the organic fertilizer or you do not like to use any fertilizer. I cannot get your point because container gardening needs fertilizer organic or non organic. Without fertilizer the plants may have a lot of problems of nutrient deficiency. If you used a very big container with very fertile soil then may be possible to grow without fertilizer regularly for a period of time.

Other forum members may answer your question more better than me, just wait.

Sorry for my poor English.

Caelian

• NewGardenerNina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your answer, Caelian.

I use natural ingredients as helpers: banana peels, egg shells and other "quack remedies" that I learned from my grandma.

I'm not sure what organic fertilizer contains, but I would much rather grow the peppers naturally. Is this impossible for containers?

I appreciate the feedback.

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

NewGardenerNina, fertilizer made from natural ingredients are organic fertilizer. It is 100% possible to grow naturally. The link may have a lot of useful information about organic gardening:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/organic/

I do not have much experiences of gardening, I have been learning about container gardening here, this forum is very resourceful for me.

One of the most important factors to success container gardening is the medium/soil we use, just my opinion. The following link is all about fertilizer. It would be helpful to you too.

Caelian

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilizer Program for Containerized Plants II

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

As pointed out you will need to fertilize whether that's synthetic or organic. Banana peels have an NPK of 0-3.25-41.76 (when cooked to ash) and egg shells 1.19-0.38-0.14 looks like you will need more nitrogen unless you added something not listed that has more nitrogen. What type of soil are you using and does it have any nutrients already in it?

If I were you going the organic route I would start a compost pile and get the soil from there and use bigger pots to keep the micros happy and alive.

Good luck keep us updated on your season.

Mark

• willardb3
    10 years ago

Patience is a virtue growing chiles........

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Maybe it's just me, but that plant looks very "leggy". Is your light source far away? Do you have it in a window? You might want to consider potting up to a larger pot, and while doing so, bury that plant about 3 inches deeper. If it continues to grow like that, it could become very top heavy. This is especially true once it starts setting pods. Good Luck!

Tim

• tsheets
    10 years ago

I agree with peppernovice. The fact that you have to have it tied up at this young age should be a red flag.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor