Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
koreansoul

Seed Starting advice

Koreansoul
9 years ago

I have an issue. My house is too cold to start seeds. Yes, I do keep it that cold lol. I have used a heating pad to start but my plants didn't thrive until I actually put them outside. I'm blaming the cold house on this.

I want to avoid this in the future. I live in Florida, and we have about 9 months of hot weather (maybe a little exaggerated) and I want to take full advantage of that, and have a great harvest.

I could start them in the garage but being in Florida, pests have a way of finding a way in. It may be my best bet however. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks.

Genie

Comments (4)

• StupidHotPeppers
    9 years ago

Put seeds in damp but not too wet paper towels within a ziplock bag on the top backside if your fridge. Good luck
    -Nick

• kentishman
    9 years ago

Hi Genie,

I would think the temperatures you have at present would allow you to start seeds outside. I assume you're interested in starting seeds now.

Here in South Carolina we're getting temperatures in the 60s at night and mid 80s during the day. You're probably higher than that. That should be sufficient to germinate outside. I'd try it with the seeds on the shady side of the house so they don't cook in direct sunlight, and I'd make sure the surface of the medium doesn't dry out.

This is assuming you're starting in soil. My method of getting the seeds to germinate is not in soil but in a small plastic container that restaurants give you with things like salsa or salad dressing. Put a piece of paper towel in the container, put the seeds on it, mist them, and make sure they stay moist. It's easy to check the seeds to see if they've germinated. As soon as you see the white root pop out, you can put the seed into soil.

Have you considered growing Datil peppers? St. Augustine, FL, is famous for Datil sauce, so it should do well for you (where in FL are you?). I'm growing them again this year because I love the sauce. I've got plenty of seeds saved from last year: both Peach and Chocolate Bhut Jolokia, Black Naga Jolokia, and Malaysian Goroonong. I'll be glad to send some your way.

Good luck with it!
    Tom

• Koreansoul
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nick - I tried that last year after 39 days in the sandwich bag me and my Habeneros had a little fight and I shoved them in the dirt. lol

Tom - I actually did put some outside. We've had some odd weather this past week and I was thinking "just in case" I'd start some inside.

I am about 2 hours or so south of St. Augustine. I haven't gone in years but maybe I'll have to go soon for the sauce (smile).

Thank you so very much for the pepper offer! Would you like me to send you a SASE?

Genie

• kentishman
    9 years ago

No need for a SASBE this time. Just send me an email and I'll put seeds in the mail to you. Tell me what you'd like, and mention any other varieties you're interested in. Maybe I'll have seeds. I should be able to squeeze about six varieties in an envelope.

Tom

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?