Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terry_470

just joined this site 5 mins ago first time ever growing peppers

terry-470
10 years ago

hi everyone im in bonnie scotland in the uk (and for all you americans NOT IN ENGLAND!!! england is part of the uk just like us lol) ok sorry bout that lol .......ive never grown peppers in my life before but was always wanting to grow them last friday i bought a walk in greenhouse and filled it with chillies and peppers and also tomatoes store bought plants mohawk,apache,bell peppers,green gusto,red gusto,and strawberries and tomatoes,all in growbags (3 to each growbag)
and was wondering if i could ask one an all on this wonderfull forum (ive just joined and have been reading other growers questions ) if i could have any tips and tricks or any advice on growing these peppers remembering that scottish weather is usully pretty rotten most days monday was scorching ...tuesday was gale force winds with sleet and snow ..and today is wind and rain and cold (hence the need for an unheated green house lol) so please any info would be apprecieted thanks in advance for youre help

Terry

Comments (5)

• sidhartha0209
    10 years ago

Heehee, sounds like typical Ohio Valley spring weather to me....:-) If you like don't the weather here just wait a day or two, it'll change.

Is your growing season short? I see you're in zone 8 so surely it's longer than here in KY. I'm not familiar with any of those varieties you've named, are they c. annuum? Where I'm at I've decided to grow only short and mid season varieties in order to get mature baccatumms and chinense. before frost.

What's a growbag?

• don555
    10 years ago

Isn't a growbag is an old bagpipe filled with dirt? :)

I'm surprised Scotland is zone 8, but I guess that's what happens when gardening zones are defined by minimum winter temperatures. I'm in western Canada, zone 3, so winters would be a heck of lot colder than Scotland, but summers maybe warmer.

Anyway, I'm at 53.5 degrees North, so probably have similar long summer daylight as Scotland. Your greenhouse and temperate climate should give you a long growing season, but light may play a factor too, with growth slowing as the days get shorter even if you can keep the temperature up. I get shut down here by late September regardless as frost threatens.

As someone above mentioned, varieties of C. annum will probably work best for you as they grow and ripen the fastest. In my experience, I find getting fruit set on hot peppers a lot easier than on bell peppers. You might do okay with bells in your greenhouse. Watch for insect pests, they can multiply quickly in a greenhouse, though you certainly wouldn't have any natural pepper pests in Scotland. That's all I can think of off the top of my head... oh, I'm growing "Matchbox" this year, a hot pepper, going to start hardening them off tomorrow in preparation for planting into pots and maybe directly in the garden too, in another week or two.

• terry-470
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hello sidhartha0209..

i dont know what veriety my peppers are cosc ive not got a clue about them lol all i know is the gusto ones are shaped like a bananna pepper tho not as big and the apache ones are quite hot?....so thats all i know about my peppers i bought from tescos...im a complete novice sorry lol...ive enclosed a pic of a grow bag they very handy and toms grow brill in them so i thought why not peppers ?....so any info on pepper growing will be apprecieted ..thanks for your input

Terry

• terry-470
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol bagpipes filled with dirt very good heehee

just to let u guys know as im typing this the sun is out splitting the trees its glorious!!!! from one extreme to another lol

terry

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

I'm fairly new - only been growing ring of fire, jalapenos for about 4 years, last year tried habaneros and now am adding other species of tongue burners - I do know this - they DO NOT like the cold.
    I too just got a little greenhouse to try to extend my season and am planning on low cost heating solutions for the end of fall.
    Thinking of using barrels and thermosiphoning solar heated hot water. Might be a pipe dream, but I can dream...

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA