Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumb85

Pickling peppers

GreenThumb85
10 years ago

Last year i tried this with some pepperoncinis and experimented with a few things (1st time ever pickling) and completely *bleep'ed* everything up. Had to throw out everything! Was wondering if anyone has a process and ingredients they wouldn't mind sharing.

Comments (5)

• sidhartha0209
    10 years ago

Hello GT, here's a link (and I'm sure there's plenty others) that might help.

What does 'bleeped everything up' mean? Did the peppers go bad in the jar? Or mushy? Or what? :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled Peppers

• GreenThumb85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh lol it means "f*cked everything up". I didn't want to cuss on a gardening forum..They tasted like vinegar, and it was awful! Thank you for the link though!

• Creek-side
    10 years ago

I am a jalapeno fanatic. I eat them at least once a day. Finally grew some last year and pickled them. I was looking at recipes on the internet, and they all seemed a little complicated and with some expensive ingredients. It finally occurred to me to just look at the ingredients on the ones I buy from the store, which were jalapeno peppers, water, vinegar and salt. I used the water/vinegar ratio from the fancy recipes. Easiest thing in the world to can. You just pour the boiling hot liquid into jars filled with sliced peppers, seal lightly and let them sit in boiling water for 10 minutes or so, then remove and seal more tightly.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Here you go, a recipe that I use on Sweet Banana, Hot Banana, Jalapeno and Hot Hungarian Wax peppers.
    This is a version of a recipe first posted by Shoontok that I have modified to my own liking. Feel free to adjust the ingredient totals or add or delete any ingredients as you see fit.
    I will assume you are using half pint jars. For pint jars, just double the ingredients.
    First, create a mixture of Distilled vinegar and water at a 3 to 1, vinegar to water ratio. Make enough to fill all the jars with the peppers. Keep in mind the peppers will fill about ü of the jar volume. Set this aside for now.
    Next, Slice your peppers about 1/16th inch slices. Then pack them into clean jars to the top (pack them down a bit).
    Then add about 1 Tablespoon of minced garlic on top of the pepper slices in each jar. You can mince fresh garlic or buy a jar of minced garlic. I am lazy and used the stuff in a jar. Then add a couple teaspoons of black peppercorns. (they can be found in the spice section at the supermarket). Lastly add about a teaspoon of sea salt.
    Finally, pour the vinegar water mixture into the jars of pepper slices almost to the very top of the jars. Then seal the jars, shake them up a bit to get the ingredients mixed in and then place in the fridge. You can start eating them any time, however, it is best to wait a couple days.
    Note: Remember that these are not canned according to standard canning guidelines and will eventually spoil. This is why they will need to be kept in the fridge just like an opened store bought jar of peppers. They should be fine for a good several months if kept refrigerated. BUT THEY WILL STAY CRISP, UNLIKE HOT CANNED PEPPERS.
    You can try freezing the jars of peppers to keep them longer but you will need to use "Freezable" canning jars. The peppers will be a bit less crisp but not much after they thaw.
    Bruce

This post was edited by esox07 on Fri, May 10, 13 at 16:24

• bigoledude
    10 years ago

I stuff peppers, small onions or larger onions cut in half, carrots sliced thinly long-ways, a couple of heads of garlic de-papered and separated, maybe a few flowerettes of cauliflower until my gallon jar is packed full and tight. Some Sweet Basil and fresh Dill give it some extra flavor.

Then I mix 1/2 white vinegar, 1/2 cider vinegar. Enough to fill my gallon jar 2/3 or 3/4 full with the vegetables in the jar. It doesn't take much. I heat this liquid just shy of rolling boil, add a tablespoon or three of the liquid version of Louisiana Crab Boil, a couple of bay leaves, two tbs sea salt and a packet of the dry Italian Dressing mix. A couple of squirts of soy and Worcestershire sauce and you have the typical Cajun-style of pickling any vegetable you want.

I actually use more Liquid Crab Boil, cayenne flakes and salt. Do it this way if you like it spicy and not lunatic-hot.

I pour the now not-boiling mixture over the vegeables and top-off the last third of liquid with filtered water or spring water.

The very cool thing about pickling is that you can taste your vinegar prior to pouring it over your vegetables and adjust it. I use this on green beans and anything else I pickle. A gallon disappears very quickly around here .

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting