Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepperdave

Got um in

pepperdave
9 years ago

Had the day off so I planted my main garden. Almost 400 plants
Got a good soaking from mother nature soon after.
Next step side dress with PlantTone then mulch with straw. I have 40 in 5-1-1 also at other locations isolated for seed. Should be a good year

Comments (19)

• kentishman
    9 years ago

Looks like some nice bottom land, I'm envious. On the other hand, I can't imagine planting 400 plants! My back would give out before I'd done 40. hope you have a great year.

Tom

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yah, holy crap. I am guessing you sell at a farmers market or something like that. What varieties are you growing there?
    Bruce

• pepperdave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Congo,Brown Butt Jolokia,Red Butt Jolokia,Peach Butt jolokia,Red Trinidad Scorpion,Brown Trinidad Scorpion,Yellow Trinidad Scorpion,Green Trinidad Scorpion,7 Pod Large,7Pod Primo,7Pod Douglah,Butch T Scorpoin,Chocolite Moruga Scorpion,Cumari,Black Naga.
    There is a farm stand in front of the property. Lots of heat for everyone this year.
    I grow Ancho, Jalapeno , Cherry ,Wax , and others at a different location

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

400?? Is that all? Lightweight! J/k ;)

Looks awesome Dave! Just mulch in between the rows or what?

Kevin

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Nice truck patch. See that you wore out the front of yer PU and have the bed for a future trailer to haul all the produce away... ;-)

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Nice looking field! Hopefully an awesome harvest!

Stoney

• pepperdave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like using straw as mulch. A lot of people I know use plastic and till up small peaces for years to come,plus you cant add amenities like compost through it. Straw keeps down weeds, saves water, keeps roots cool in hot weather,and tills in as added compost for the next year. A win win for any garden.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Oh I agree about organic mulches. Totally a win-win. I think you misunderstood me though -- Is mulch the only thing that you're putting in between those WIDE rows? Looks like you have space for other veggies/herbs/flowers.

Kevin

• pepperdave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Later in the season Ill be crawling under my plants to pick peppers. They actually might be too close.

• pepperdave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Later in the season Ill be crawling between rows to pick peppers. They might be too close to each other then they could be for maximum harvest.I will post updates. I expect knee high plants by July and 4-6 ft by the middle of August if everything goes like years past.After 30 years of doing this you get a feel for it. Giving plants room is all part of it.

• ab2008
    9 years ago

Last year I had around 150 and it was more than I ever want to do again unless I'm able to somehow make money off of them. I cut WAY back this year lol.

• Chad5
    9 years ago

Damn dude, thats alot of peppers! Hope you treated yourself to a cold one after all of that work! Keep the pics coming, and good luck with your field.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Dave, I take it you are not located in California. If you were, I am sure there would be fire trucks surrounding that garden with all that heat scattered all over.

Bruce

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Hats off to you, I could never imagine planting that many plants!!! My back was killing me after I put 16 into pots :/

Jay

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

Just curious how far apart the plants are in the rows. I am working on something similar. Somewhere between 200 and 300 plants. I am also wondering what you are going to use for fertilizer and water.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Spacing in the row, I would say 12" to 24" if land is scarce. Probably Dave does it wider than that.

• pepperdave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like to plant 24in apart with my rows 4ft apart. I doubled up the first row just for room and to see the difference in production between single and double rows. For fertilizer I use PlantTone [ORGANIC] ,my plot was limed last fall. For water there is a well with sprinklers but I would like to switch to drip tape as a friend has a few rolls laying around, just need a regulator to drop pressure to 10lbs. Have not had to water yet , it rained good right after planting, the next day and more expected today

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Quote: Congo,Brown Butt Jolokia,Red Butt Jolokia,Peach Butt jolokia,Red Trinidad Scorpion,Brown Trinidad Scorpion,Yellow Trinidad Scorpion,Green Trinidad Scorpion,7 Pod Large,7Pod Primo,7Pod Douglah,Butch T Scorpoin,Chocolite Moruga Scorpion,Cumari,Black Naga.

Flail!

• pepperdave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is my list. Lets hope we dont have a Hurricane this year, Im on an island Sandy made landfall just North of hear. Picked the last of my peppers 2 days before. Still had a good year. Time to see what summer brings besides tourists coming out of the walls. My peppers are my only escape besides fishing.