Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kalie_florida

What is everyone's favorite way to serve peppers?

Kalie
10 years ago

All of my peppers are growing like crazy right now. I have jalapenos, anaheim chilis, beaver dams, georgia flames, black hungarian and royal blacks, and banana peppers. I was wondering what everyone likes to do with their peppers at the beginning of the season. I want to get a good taste for the differences between the peppers but I don't have a great idea for how to serve them. I am going to have a dinner party for Memorial Day and would love to have a tasting of sorts. I was thinking like a cheese platter with pepper slices? Or maybe a chopped pepper salsa and tortilla chips? But I know there are probably some good ideas out there so comment if you have one! :)

Thanks.

Comments (15)

• howelbama
    10 years ago

Cored and de-seeded, stuffed with cheese, battered and then deep fried is always good lol... :)

My favorite way to eat bells is either fresh with some dip, or stuffed with rice, meat, sauce and then baked...

Some mini pizzas with diced hot peppers as a topping is also good...

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Filled with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. Or added to rice with onions. Or as hot sauce. I'm thinking of using some in shish kabobs this year. Jalapeno corn muffin always sounded good, too. I'm just not much for baking.

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

Pepper Soup, Onions, milk and a good Italian or mild white cheese with a couple corn tortillas for added taste.

Saute the onions and peppers, process in a food processor. Return to the pan, add milk bring to a boil, lower heat add corn tortillas and cheese; season with salt and pepper.

Great in stews, sauces, stir fry and stuffed as mentioned before. They also freeze well for later use. Worked at a hunting lease years back. Ended up with over 5 gallons of chopped bell peppers which were frozen and kept in a plastic bag, the type used for trash. That was the spring hunt, they were used during the fall-winter hunting season with no deterioration or lose of flavor in the 5+ months without anything other than just being cut up and frozen.

This post was edited by wally-1936 on Thu, May 16, 13 at 11:33

• abnorm
    10 years ago

This is Florida.....we like the grill

ABT's.....Jalapenos....cored, stuffed w/cheese and wrapped w/bacon ..... Smoked or grilled.....uuummmmmm!

We charcoal Grill any sweet pepper w/olive oil and seasoning alongside a main meat.....

Splitthe side of a Poblano...(or Banana or Cubanella or ? ) Leave the stemas Handle....Clean and stuff w/cheese.....and/or pre-cooked Meat (greatfor using-up leftovers)....Season....tie w/string or pin closed....Smoke/Grill/Oven-Roast until tender.......

I grow Passila Bajio and Holy Mole for cooking MOLE ..... the rich brown gravy served w/enchilatas

Hots are usually Smoked then dried and powdered for flavored seasonings and rubs.......

Doug

I FORGOT......Salsa and Relish

This post was edited by abnorm on Thu, May 16, 13 at 15:05

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

My favorite is raw, to unsuspecting acquaintances.

BWAH HA HA HA !!

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Big blue meanie! ;-)

ok, to the question, Beaver Dam, Stuffed, either with meat and cheese, or made into chile rellenos. I know everyone loves poppers for jals and I agree, but my favorite is putting them in my homemade chunky salsa. I never heard of royal black.
    Pam

This post was edited by kuvaszlvr on Fri, May 17, 13 at 11:04

• tsheets
    10 years ago

For the anaheims my favorite is green chili cheeseburgers. You could make them 'sliders' for a party where you have lots of other things to try.

• sjetski
    10 years ago

To the original poster, if you are going to go with the "tasting" idea then you really can't bury the pepper's flavor in some recipe.

You can roast a few of each, add a little bit of oil, the smallest shake of salt (or not), and let the guests decide which ones they like best. You can have the raw versions in the platter next to them.

For the leftover peppers, add them to your favorite cookout recipes, chili, salads, salsa, an ingredient to add into homemade burgers etc etc. Also: blending different pepper types into a recipe creates a complex pepper flavor that many people love, as long as it isn't too spicy for them.

• Tiarella
    10 years ago

Hot pepper jelly spooned on a block of cream cheese and served with crackers is good. I buy pepper jelly rather than make it and select one without onions. I've not yet had candied jalepenos, but if someone was having a tasting, i would love to try them.

The 2 pepper dishes i make most often are fajitas with sautéed sweet onion & hot and sweet banana peppers - and sauteed whole padrons with coarse salt. I pick padrons when small, but if you let padrons grow a few extra days, they are quite hot.

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

For me it depends on the variety. I like most of them raw/fresh.

Medium hot less flavor type, I like roast and blend/pounding with roasted garlic, roasted shallot (small onion) roasted plain water fish.

Caelian

• bigoledude
    10 years ago

A few times each growing season I used to do a pepper-thing for my non-chilehead friends. I would usually serve this while waiting for a pot of shrimp or crabs to boil.

I would roast some garlic, put them in small bowls. Then, I added some good extra virgin olive oil into each bowl. I would then put a different variety of sliced peppers in each bowl with the garlic and oil. I warmed the bowls in the oven till the peppers get just a LITTLE BIT tender.

Most of my friends are not too crazy about really hot peppers so, I did this with the tamer ones. I know the olive oil and garlic detract from the pure pepper flavor but, they loved to sample all of them. Very rarely was there any left over. Especially if we served them with small skinny loaves of hot homemade French-bread to be smeared with the garlic and dipped in the garlic/pepper oil.

Sometimes I would use fresh-yanked roasted shallots instead of garlic.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

I love the creativity here. As someone fairly new to peppers, I'm curious about the need to peel them. No one mentioned it. I grew a few different Mexican and New Mexican peppers last year, but didn't eat many because I thought they needed to be roasted and peeled for any use. This was very time consuming. Do your recipes require peeling?

• tsheets
    10 years ago

FWIW, the NuMex / Anaheim types and sometimes Poblanos are the only kinds that I have grown that I roast/peel. Most don't need it.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Dry and grind into pepper powder good for every meal. Coffee grinders make the best most fine powder.

Mark

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

i am hoping to make super hot pizza/wing sauce (new to this) and a little for hot pepper jelly (done it before with good success). My plants will probably not give me any produce until September/October as I started late sooo, with all of this extra growing season, I have planted roma tomatoes to use for the sauces. I also have a large canner and plan on trying to can enough to supply me until next year's crop. (Did I mention that I also make lots of breads including kicked up jalapeno plus my husband likes a dozen mini pizzas a week for snacking)

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz