Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breckinridge_gw

help canning peppers

breckinridge
17 years ago

I need some recipes for canning jalepenos and bannana peppers they way I did it last year they did not taste very good thanks

Comments (9)

• wayright
    17 years ago

I have tried alot of recipes for canning but,I find that the simpler the better.
    first crisp the peppers by cutting off the top and soaking them in half and half water and vinegar overnight..drain the liquid off and discard it.Pack the peppers in jars and throw in a clove of garlic and an onion slice!
    next in saucepan put 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup salt and about 6-8 cups vinegar..and boil..pour the hot vinegar over the peppers in the jar to about 3/4 or more full....top off with water and store!!!
    thats just my 2 cents!! im interested in others recipes!---kevin

• breckinridge
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sounds good thanks does andyone else have something.

• naturalstuff
    17 years ago

~ 2 c Hot peppers, any kind
    ~ Olive oil, extra virgin
    ~ 1 Garlic clove, chopped (opt)
    ~ 6 Drops lemon juice (opt)

Split and remove seeds and veins and stems, Saute' with garlic in extra virgin olive oil until tenter but not brown, pack still hot peppers tightly into jar leaving 1/2 inch headroom. Meanwhile heat 1 cup E V olive oil in sauce \pan to 300 degrees, using a pointed knife pierce a hole down the center of the peppers to the bottom of the jar, pour the hot oil into this hole a little at a time to avoid boil over, fill the jar to 1/4 inch from the top slowly.

Wipe the jar top and sides with a paper towel and apply the cap tightly. No further processing is needed. The jarred product is shelf stable (check for the requisite depressed lid).

Be sure to sterilize the lid at the very least, the hot oil will sterilize the jar and peppers. I call this in the jar processing.

What's amazing is that I didn't know this myself. I simply searched the internet for canning peppers. lol

• john47_johnf
    17 years ago

I adapted a bread and butter pickle recipe, sustituting pepper-- mostly jalapenos. They are very tasty and can either be stored in the fridge without processing--they stay crispy-- or proceessed in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes and stored at room temp.
    I usually increase the amts for the brine to be sure I have enough to cover the peppers

1 1/2 to 2 lbs peppers sliced 1/4 " thick
    2 medium onions sliced thin
    6 ice cubes
    1/4 cup coarse ( Kosher ) salt
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 Tablespoon mustard seed
    1/2 teaspoon celery seed
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric

In large bowl combine peppers, onions, salt, and ice. Let stand 1 hour tosssing occassionally.

Fill bowl with water and drain vegetables in a colander. Rinse and drain three times to rinse off all salt. Drain well.

In large pan combine vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil. Add the vegetables and when the liquid barely begins to simmer remove from heat. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.

Put in jars with enough brine to cover vegetables and store in the fridge. Ready to eat the next day but I have kept in fridge for many months. really good--crunchy-not too sweet--not too sour. Can also be hot water processed.
    Unprocessed

Hot water Processed

John

• gtomato
    17 years ago

John47, that looks gooood!!!

Just a tip that I do.

When I can my Hungarian Hot Wax whole, ( I do it two ways, one with tom. sauce and one without), I cut the top and bottom off, them fill with water and stuff, and tap the jar on the counter to get all the air out of the pepper. It seems to cook the seeds better.

I know what you guys are thinking, they take up to much room whole, ect. But I like them to be crisp sometimes, on hot dogs, hamburgers, and grilled cheese. Can't seem to keep them crisp when I stew them with onions, green pepper, and tomatoes.

Yes, more work and time but I love them that way.

greg

• naturalstuff
    17 years ago

This link might help. They have a whole bunch of stuff to do with peppers for canning. It's from 1998 but I guess still might help. How do you choose which cannning process is best for you?

http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/canned_idx.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning peppers

• organic_nut
    17 years ago

I did some canning of hot peppers.

First I would pickle them. only makes sense and it is easy. I fill a 10 gallon plastic container with hot peppers and then then pour in kosher salty water. put a big plate over the top and weigh it down so all the peppers are under water and let sit for a week to pickle.

when the bubbling stops the pickles are ready. I discard the water and refill the container with fresh water for 24 hours to leach out some of the salt.

then I get ready to bottle them up.

I make a solution in a pot of vinegar, no water, no salt, sugar. I put dill and garlic into the jars. and pour in the hot liquid to heat up everything.

now I wanted to make sure it was going to be ok, so I poured out the liquid as it has cooled down and refilled again with boiling liquid to really heat them up better. put on the cap and done.

I did the same with cucumber pickles and put hot peppers into the jars along with garlic and dill and the cucumber pickles were incredible good. eveyone raved about them.

I like johns jars with the color. the red peppers look great in the jars but they do not stay crisp as long as the green ones. they dont ruin the jar, then simply go soft sooner. so if you pickle up the ripe peppers it is good to eat them sooner.

I have had some hot peppers stay crisp for many years in the jars. but I recommend fresher pickled for more crisp taste.

I tended to move away from pickling so to reduce the salt in my diet and also I found dried pepper like paprika will last much longer in the freezer and takes up much less room than pickling.

more recently I have moved to likeing sauces. habaneros make a very flavorful sauce. ( here by sauce I mean something like a Tabasco sauce not a tomato sauce. )

I also want to make a lot of tepin or chiltepin sauce. delicious. high quality.

I was in a restaurant yesterday. and I had to use Tabasco sauce. ouch. they did not have any good mexican hot sauces. ouch. Tabasco just does not cut it for me anymore.

• snappybob
    17 years ago

I would suggest anyone attempting any of the recipes above that do not contain vinegar (acid), a boiling water bath processing or refridgerated storage should do a google search for oil,pepper,garlic, botulism.
    I'm not saying that the recipes are not good but they seem to be lacking some key elements when it comes to preserving food. Just my opinion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning funamentals

• thutsell
    14 years ago

i want a canning recipe for hot pepper. I don't want them pickled because I want to use them in chili

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living