Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chilliwin

Please share your valuable experiences

chilliwin
10 years ago

I used skewers to protect the plant from the wind without binding. However it damaged the stems and leaves when the wind blows.

How to bind the supporting stick (please use an appropriate word for this stick, just I used these words to explain what I am telling you) correctly to the stem without giving much damage to the plants or zero damaged? Which one is the best for this purpose, cable tide, rubber or aluminum wire? Can it hurt the plants when it grows? How to manage this problem properly without moving around the plants? I feel uneasy the way I have bound the stems.

{{gwi:1169087}}
{{gwi:1169088}}
{{gwi:1169089}}

If anything wrong, please tell me, I am ready to learn :)

Caelian

Comments (8)

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

Did you plant these from seed, or are they purchased transplants? The only way I could see using a stake is if you planted from seeds and the plants became spindly or leggy due to insufficent light.

I've never used a stake on a pepper plant, ever, and I've grown hundreds. My location is subject to strong winds.

Peppers are not like tomatoes. Peppers are remarkably resiliant and their stems are more "wood" than fibrous tomato plants.

The stem (top pic) looks very healthy, it should be able to support itself without a problem. Wind exposure will only strengthen it. I know, however, that a lot of people use stakes, I just see it as overkill and coddling.

I dunno, just my 2 cents.

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

when theyre inside get a fan on them to support strength. Put it on full blast because these plants are mature enough to take it. Its sort of like working out, the more they lean back and forth the more they strengthen. Other than that I usually use sticks and rubber bands.

Usually the stick is thick enough and tall enough to support the plant so plan accordingly, but the rubber bands are awesome because when you tie thm on, the plant can grow and the rubber bands fall off when reaching another set of leaves. Which then you replace below the set of leaves that has risen.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,
    Thank you for sharing.

The soil I use is very soft and the wind is very strong so it cannot hold the stem firmly when we had strong wind very strong wind. The plants are not snapped but it makes a kind of gape around the base of the stem. Before I bound it the stem and leaves leaned to the stake, tight and lose when the wind blown so the stem got bruise and the leaves have torn. I really hate bruise stem and torn leaves. :)

They were indoor plants but not leggy, I cut off the lower leaves because they touched the soil and shaded the new leaves. I started all these plants from the seeds. The first one is Scorpion Moruga Blend yellow, the seed from peperlover.com. The second one is Rocoto De Seda Yellow the third one is 7 Pods Brain Strain Red the youngest, both seeds were from the local seller.

The plants are healthy and they were hardening off very well now.

The fan I use inside is not big and strong enough it is a computer fan. First I used long stick but the problem was the new leaves, so I cut the stick to avoid the new shoots. I will use the long stick and rubber band now

Thank you all again for the feedback.
    Caelian

• teyo
    10 years ago

If you have room, and you can line your plants up, you could make a modified system usually used for tomatoes, google "florida weave". If you can't line them up and put stakes/sticks on which to tie the twine for florida weave, then i suggest using 4-5 sticks for a single plant in a pot. Those sticks will make sort of a cage. I wouldn't tie the plant to the sticks, just put them around the plant so it leans on them. Eventually the plant will get strong enough to support itself without sticks.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Teyo,
    You are so resourceful. Still I got a lot of good tips and clues from you, thank you very much.

Caelian

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Weave

This post was edited by chilliwin on Fri, May 10, 13 at 0:52

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

It's my first time growing super hots and I'm growing Naga Viper plants. HE are so similar to the 7 pod brain strain red I'm curious as mine are turning out almost the same. Although, mine are much shorter....but all in all your plants look great!

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi PG, enjoy the super hots, good luck.
    Caelian

• teyo
    10 years ago

no problem, glad to help.
    just yesterday i was planting some of my tomatoes and putting up stakes for florida weave. i didn't even use the usual twine tied to 3 stakes to hold them since the plants are small, i just weaved the twine between 8 stakes and tied on the end ones. i think you could do that with peppers easily, since they don't get too large and heavy like tomatoes.

i linked below a nice site with diagrams for this

Here is a link that might be useful: florida weave

Sponsored