Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peppers narrow at base of stalk and die

Posted by genevaben FL (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 10:45

I live in central florda and have cayenne, jalapeno, bell and banna peppers planted in a raised garden bed. Plants were started as seeds. Some of them have started narrowing at the base of the stalk near where the stalk comes out of the soil. Once this starts, the plant falls over and the leaves shrivle and die.....any ideas? thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peppers narrow at base of stalk and die

How old / big are they? If still seedlings, sounds like damping off.

o

That's most likely damp off caused by fungi and soil that is too wet. Make sure your soil is well drained, and don't over water.

o

thanks for the help, BTW the plants are about 6 weeks old and 12 to 18 inch high....my raised beds have a lot of peat in them and retain water really well---will back off on the watering and maybe next year have a bed for peppers only with less peat??? thanks

o

Peat is very water retensive. That explains it.

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Thu, May 10, 12 at 18:01

It is 99% damping off fungus and as stated, over watering, by you or mother nature is the culprit.
Bruce

o

One option is to add lots of bark to your raised bed to improve drainage. This will make your watering less critical. May need to add lime though as this would be an acidic mix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here