Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I can't win for losing!

Posted by kentishman Zone 7 (SC) (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 11 at 10:53

I started a few seeds of Leutschauer Paprika recently. Two seeds popped, and I potted them up. Both seedlings were "helmet heads" (maybe that's typical for Leutschauer), so yesterday I performed microsurgery with sharp kitchen shears, tweezers and a needle. Off came the seed coats and out came nice fully formed cotyledons. Success! I checked back after a few hours to find that the cotyledons on one seedling were completely missing -- they hadn't shriveled up or dropped off, just gone! I have to assume some insect found them to be a nice tender morsel. This chile growing business has its setbacks!

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I can't win for losing!

Tom,

Don't give up! You've had a setback a lot of new growers experience. Don't let a little bad luck discourage you. It will get better if you keep trying and learning from past fails.

Actually, from experience, great success in your first year gives you a cocky over confidence that damds you in year two and three.

With respect to paprika, I only have Alma paprika seed. I do however have a variety of other chili peppers if you want to give it another shot next season.

If you're interested, email me at: ottawapepper (at) hotmail (dot) com.

o

Ottawapepper,

Thanks for the words of encouragement, but I'm not giving up yet. I've got several varieties that seem to be doing well, and I'll try the Leutschauer again next year. I figure we all have our hard luck stories, and I thought people would get a chuckle from my little setback. I appreciate your kind offer of some seeds for new varieties, and I'll email you.

Tom

o

When seed shells don't come off, that means not enough friction was available to the plant to remove them in the soil and/or not enough humidity to soften the shell.

When that happens to me what I do is put the little guy in an enclosed environment, like a large clear plastic container and then put a cup or two of water in the same closed container. The water creates enough moisture for the little guy to ditch the shell.

Removing it by hand appears to be much much more stressful.

Rudy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here