Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First time poster here!

Posted by DaMonkey007 10b - Miami (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 12 at 10:57

Hey Y'all,
I've been lurking on the forum for a while now, soaking up as much information as I can and I figured it was time to introduce myself.

My name is PJ, I live down in Miami...I know, I know....poor me, right? LOL. I would say that this is my first year being serious about growing and fully dedicated to my garden, although I've tinkered for a number of years with no real direction or measurable success. I got started over on the Container Forum, where I learned about building properly aerated free draining soils, watering techniques, and fertilization schedules. I certainly have learned alot, more than I thought possible in that amount of time...which I can attribute mainly to my conversations with Josh, who has been so generous to me with his time and knowledge. Shout out to Josh!

Anywho, on the pepper front. I'm currently growing 2 plants each of 3 very basic varieties in a 5-1-1 mix: Jalepeno, Hot Cherry, & Habanero - although after learning so much about the world of chiles from y'all I'm getting ready to order some more interesting seeds to start, but for now.....

This is pepper alley, I'm please with how they are coming along, especially for my first real crack at chile growing...the eggplants in the raised bed are also doing quite well.
Photobucket
Close up of one of the Jalepenos, I've harvested about 2 dozen green guys from this plant for everyday cooking - there are at least that many currently set on the plant, if not more.
Photobucket
Close up of one of the Cherry's, I haven't harvested many just yet, but I'm getting ready to pull some reds and greens off for pickling this weekend.
Photobucket
Hands down the Habs have been the most successful. Both plants are loaded with pods, and I've harvested probably 2 dozen ripe peppers up to this point.
Photobucket

Well, that's what I've done so far. I'll be stepping it up to the big leagues later this year, lol, and I'm really looking forward to learning the craft!

Glad to be here!
PJ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First time poster here!

Looks great! That hab sure has a lot of pods and still putting out blooms!

o

Welcome, PJ!
We're glad to have you! The plants are looking wonderful.

Josh

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 12 at 15:09

Yep, welcome. Seems like you did your homework well. Plants look great. My habs last year produced tons of pods too. I too have picked Josh's (Greenman28) brain dozens of times over the last two years. Anything question regarding soils or nutrients usually gets run by Josh first.

And PJ, after you harvest your first initial (usually small) harvest, look out for the second one. Last year I had a pretty good first harvest but probably triple the pods on the second harvest. And with your lengthy growing season, you will probably be able to get a third or even push them through to next spring.
Bruce

o

Thanks for the support and encouragement!

tsheets:
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing! I thought that the growth and bud development might slow a bit with so many pods set, but it did the exact opposite...lol...I feel like they're coming triple speed!!

Josh:
Always a pleasure, my friend. These plants would be scraggly messes without your input and advice. Cheers!

Bruce:
I'm exicted enough about the first harvest...you're going to make my head explode talking about 2nd and 3rds...HAH! I do hope that I can keep at least a few of them healthy through the summer. Bugs are going to get baaaaaaad down here in the near future....not to mention that it rains every day. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it though. I actually got a very late start on these plants. They went into pots in February...I could have gotten alot more out of them if I started last fall. That's not a mistake that I will make this year!

Onwards and Upwards!!
PJ

o

Don't sell yourself short. Some people do all the right things, follow good advice to the letter and still can't get their plants to grow more than a handful of buds - if that. It's the green thumb of gardening and I think you have it!

o

Thanks SgtPepper, that is quite a compliment, and truly appreciated!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here