Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mctiggs

Fertilizer for superhots

mctiggs
10 years ago

How do,
I just have a question about fertilizer, IâÂÂve grown hot peppers for many years, and have been using (organic) fish fertilizer on the seedlings after they pop. This has been very successful.

Throughout the years I've had an issue with a few superhot pepper plants, which I transplanted in the garden at about 6-8 inches tall, they grew to about a foot and were bushy (round) and unproductive. I'm aware of the propensity of superhots to be slow growers. These do not necessarily "not grow", they just become 1 foot round balls within about a month and stay that way until the frost comes in October.

I'm wondering if:
a. Anyone has experience using Epsom Salts as a fertilizer on superhots and whether it has any noticeable effect (I've never used it).
b. Anyone has a non-organic solution to avoid this. I generally like organic fertilizer but IâÂÂm willing to go to the dark side on this one.
Thanks in advance.

Comments (12)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I think the issue is not fertilizer related.
    In zone 3a, the ground is probably too cool for the superhots (and other chinense varieties). I would only grow the superhots in containers or warm raised beds.

There is no reason to use Epsom Salts unless you have a known Magnesium deficiency. Plants don't respond to excessive fertilizer - they respond only to an increase in the nutrients that they are actually lacking.

In containers, you'll get the most out of your plants using a soluble synthetic fertilizer.

Josh

• mctiggs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I will definately try using containers. Good call.

BTW, 3a is a bit misleading - In in Winnipeg, MB known for extreme changes in temp. It's not uncommon for week long streaks in late June/July of up to 36C (97F) daily.

Average temps in June are 22 C (72F) high, 12 C (54F) low

Average temps in July are 26 C (79F) high, 16C (61F) low

Average temps in August are 24 C (75F) high, 15C (59F) low

Average temps in Sept are 20C (68F) high, 10 low (50F)

Thanks again, hadn't thought of this as an option.

10 years ago

I hope it all works out!

Even with streaks of hot weather, it's the soil temperature that limits the growth.

Josh

• mbellot
    10 years ago

Definitely grow in containers.

I'm in Zone 5 (Chicago area) and the difference between my container plants and in ground plants is astounding.

I grow all my super hots in 4 gallon pots and they typically get to ~ 2.5 feet tall and produce 50 - 100 peppers each.

I grew a couple regular sweet pepper plants in ground last year and had exactly three peppers total.

• mctiggs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, as luck would have it I scored a couple dozen 6 gallon pails from a guy who runs an ice cream store.

I'm kind of kicking myself for not thinking of this before.

• hillseeker
    10 years ago

I have a small greenhouse that grow superhots in decent sized containers (not 5 gallons so I keep them a bit small). They have a lot of air ventilation and dry out quickly which the superhots like. I'm from Alberta so understand the fluctuations in temps you get there. Last year I easily had 100 peppers on one Bhut Jolokia plant. I did have to bring it in to fully ripen but got a few small ones before frost. I only had to supplement with calcium and magnesium when their new growth was wrinkly and curled funny (but no bugs). One treatment and new growth was fine for a long time. Good Luck! Hopefully we can swap some seeds next year! I'm trying Trinidad Scorpions & 7 Pots for the first time. I think it will be quite a feet to grow them here especially since we are still having snow but it is supposed to warm up any day now!

• mctiggs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm so jealous, I always wanted a greehouse. Maybe you can talk my wife into it. Lord knows, I've tried.

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

This was about the worst spring I can remember - now finally things are heating up nicely. I'm too chicken to put my peppers in the ground- have only pot grown and gotten some nice crops. Trying the superhots this year. My peppers are going to end up costing me at least a buck apiece because I bought a greenhouse to try to hurry spring and extend fall. Didn't need to convince my husband, just ordered it (6 x 8 Palram) and put the whole thing together myself. Thanks for bringing up fertilizer issues - I'm a newbie at this stuff.

10 years ago

Hell, even here in northern California, I don't put superhots in the ground...it just doesn't work out in time for the freeze. If I had raised beds with strong sun exposure, maybe I'd try it....

Josh

• rodnebridges
    10 years ago

I recently bought a plant food by the name of "Expert Gardener for Tomatoes and Vegetables" It's 9-12-12. My peppers seem to love it !! They look so lush and green right now !!

• hillseeker
    10 years ago

CanadianLori, that's pretty impressive that you put the greenhouse together by yourself. Our spring here sucked but it's now pretty much summer. Greenhouse fully planted and great. A bit crowded as I couldn't decide which peppers to keep as I couldn't keep them all. Here is half of the greenhouse. I'm new at this as well. 4th year growing spicy peppers but 2nd real year of understanding their needs.

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

Wow, that is really something! I'd take a picture of mine but at the moment it looks like I am only tending a fine collection of dirt. I've sewn some seeds out there - about a week ago so no sprouts yet. I'm just starting to put the seedlings that I started indoors at the beginning of april, out there as well, to get used to the semi outdoors.

Sponsored