Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daniel_159

urine

daniel-1
10 years ago

If you are taking medication, twice daily for the last 20 years, what does that do to your urine, does it make the urine unusable.

also yogurt whey, leftover from home yogurt making would that be good to use on hot peppers.

Thanks I am a complete newbie to hot pepper container growing, as I live in central Thailand, many items are not available here.

Thanks for your input.

Comments (23)

• jifjifjif
    10 years ago

Greatest title for a post ever.......urine. :)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Daniel: not sure where one would get that info, but I would imagine "medicated" pee would be fine. Also, not sure if whey would be a good thing for FEEDING your plants, but i would think it would be fine in a compost pile and also for feeding a fermented pepper sauce.

The whey also might be a good source for making a homemade antifungal for the plants -- i would research it more. I know some people use MILK to control Powdery Mildew.

Kevin

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Okay, I give.....what are you guys doing with the urine? Is this some sort of "miracle" that nobody told me about? Have I been throwing away good urine for years? So many questions!

Tim

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

It depends on the medication and what the body does to it. Some meds are metabolized into "normal" products; some are flushed intact; and there is a range of side effects as some normal products may be encouraged or discouraged.

Ask your doc or look the stuff up in a PDR.

• Tiarella
    10 years ago

If the soil has nitrifying bacteria, it would break ammonia down into nitrogen. Don't know quickly it would work or the drug answer.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Geeezzzz, my dog likes to attack my peppers. Maybe I should train him to pee on them instead.
    Bruce

• tsheets
    10 years ago

In all the years I've been here, I don't recall urine coming up as a subject. Now, all of a sudden, it's in several threads!! LOL

Personally, I feel better about taking a leak on the compost pile than on the plants / garden itself.

• robeb
    10 years ago

Sorry, but my plants do just fine without being whizzed on.

• sjetski
    10 years ago

When in doubt, do not used medicated urine as a source of nitrogen.

Funny, i read an article on that just the other day...

10 years ago

tsheets: Actually it would probably do better in a compost pile. The decomposition of it, I'm sure, makes it an all-around more balanced fertilizer in the long run.

Robeb: LMAO. Mine do too, but a very distant side dressing can't hurt. :)

Kevin

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

speaking of the effect from medications on your urine, what about the effect of nutritional supplements?

I'm a national level judo competitor (hence the name) and need to take a ton of supplements to keep my joints functioning properly despite the regular beatings they take on a daily basis. how big of an effect would that have on the content of my urine? I imagine a huge effect, given that my pee is like neon yellow all the time. but is it such a big effect that I shouldn't use it for fertilizer?

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Judo that a weird color, I guess test the content or test it on a plant and see how it does lol. This is a odd thread but keeps me chuckling.

Mark

10 years ago

LOL @ Mark.

Judo: If your pissing yellow all the time, that's a sign of dehydration, supplements or no supplements. OVERWATER yourself, but not your plants...;)

Kevin

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

No, the neon yellow is likely the result of high doses of a B vitamin, B12 I think. When you have more than you need, you get some pretty fantastic pee coloring. As for the origional question, I think DM had a good answer. Find out specifically abiut the medications you are taking. The subject of peeing on your plants seemed to come up a lot in the allium forum, I think diluting it wass recommended... Good source of nitrogen, I seem to recall.

• robeb
    10 years ago

I'm a national level judo competitor (hence the name) and need to take a ton of supplements to keep my joints functioning properly despite the regular beatings they take on a daily basis.

What did national level judo competitors do to keep their joints functioning before there were tons of supplements available?

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I do not know about the intention of OP about this topic, but few years ago here on GW, there was a discussion about using urine as fertilizer. I remember there was also a reference to a university study in Holland or Denmark. They recommended to keep the(=your) urine in a glass jar for a month or so(I cannot remember exactly for how long) and then add it to some dry leaves . Again, I think they said that after that time(in jar) urine will become ammonium. And adding ammonium to compost has been around.

According to that study, if one collects and processes his/her urine all year around the year, per instructions,then he/she may not need to purchase fertilizers for his/her home garden again....BELIEVE IT OR NOT...hehe

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

GW is so resourceful :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Questions about urine in compost

10 years ago

Seysonn: I don't know about that study, but ANY organic matter can be added to compost. There are a few things that SHOULDN'T be added -- mainly feces from carnivorous animals, but urine can be added at any time. There's no need to "save" it for a month -- LMAO.

Over time, it all breaks down.

Kevin

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

"What did national level judo competitors do to keep their joints functioning before there were tons of supplements available? "
    nothing different. many of the older guys who used to compete at that level now walk with a very noticeable limp, and can't lift their arms too high for very long. and I don't want that to be me so I'm taking preventative measures.

this has gotten pretty off topic though, and that was not my original intent.

• scott123456
    10 years ago

Since we are discussing the fine subject of urine I wanted to bring up the common misconception that urine is sterile. Yes, urine in the bladder should be sterile unless there is some sort of infection. Yes, medical professionals can remove this âÂÂsterileâ urine straight from the bladder with a catheter (catheters often become colonized with bacteria) or a needle and syringe. However, the end of your urinary tract, your private parts, and the container you are catching the urine in are not sterile. It takes a special collection technique called a mid-stream clean catch, after sanitizing your parts, and a sterile container, in order to get a sterile urine sample. This is how the laboratory collects a sample for the preliminary testing of a urinary tract infection. Since it is up to the patient to follow the directions, it is rarely done correctly and specimens are commonly contaminated. I.E. The common whiz is not sterile!!!
    Judo too much water soluble vitamins like vitamin C can change your urine color. Probably not dangerous just makes for expensive urine. Save some time and just dump it in the toilet lol.

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Someone has already experimented of urine fertilization.

Caelian

Here is a link that might be useful: Experiment of Emgardener

This post was edited by chilliwin on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 10:31

• daniel-1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all the responses, I am a newbie this was my first post. I thought my question was to another post on using urine as a fertelizer, hense the medication question!

I lived in central Thailand and have a problem with root rot and critters in the soil.
    I am trying growing hot peppers' Jalapenos, Serrano's and Pasilla Bajo in containers, and was looking for a source of nitrogen and came upon the subject of diluted urine as a source of nitrogen.
    We in Thailand do not have all of the products available in most Western countries, such as Miracle grow, pro grow etc.

Diluted urine at its strongest 1 part urine to 10 parts of water, and as I plan to start using it 1 part urine to 30 parts water, also incorporating crushed egg shell, and wood ash.

As my internet service is not that good at times here in the jungle, I am lucky to get on the net every two to three days.

Again thank you for your input, please keep it coming with you suggestions.

As the use of urine is one of the only options I found that is avaiable to me.
    Thanks Again..

• daniel-1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all the responses, I am a newbie this was my first post. I thought my question was to another post on using urine as a fertelizer, hense the medication question!

I lived in central Thailand and have a problem with root rot and critters in the soil.
    I am trying growing hot peppers' Jalapenos, Serrano's and Pasilla Bajo in containers, and was looking for a source of nitrogen and came upon the subject of diluted urine as a source of nitrogen.
    We in Thailand do not have all of the products available in most Western countries, such as Miracle grow, pro grow etc.

Diluted urine at its strongest 1 part urine to 10 parts of water, and as I plan to start using it 1 part urine to 30 parts water, also incorporating crushed egg shell, and wood ash.

As my internet service is not that good at times here in the jungle, I am lucky to get on the net every two to three days.

Again thank you for your input, please keep it coming with you suggestions.

As the use of urine is one of the only options I found that is avaiable to me.
    Thanks Again..