Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt_in_va

bummer

The total of my lifetime gardening experience is growing some chiles in containers on the patio of our townhouse, which I've been doing for the past few years. This year I have (or had) a total of eight plants distributed across six different varieties. I got a bit of a late start, but last night (in a fit of insomnia) I transplanted them into their outdoor containers. They're roughly 6"-8" tall and have maybe 8-10 leaves each.

As I was walking out to go to work this morning, I noticed that in the eight or so hours since I'd last seen it, one of my two Carolina reapers had been eaten down to within about 1/2" of the soil! Everything's gone. Leaves, almost all the stem -- there's just one sad, tiny little piece of uneaten leaf lying in the container near the decapitated stem. Aaaagh! I'm upset -- probably more upset than I should be, to tell you the truth. I'm restraining myself so I don't come across as a lunatic to you nice folks. It's just so frustrating. All the other plants in the neighborhood, and something had to come pick on my poor little reaper. . .

In any event, I have two questions:

(1) Is there any chance that this plant can somehow recover, or is it definitely a lost cause? I realize this is probably a very dumb question; as I said, I'm a *really* inexperienced gardener. I know that in some cases, if the roots survive a plant can recover from serious damage. I'm just wondering if that's possible here. Should I keep watering the roots and pray, or just rip it out and plant a seedling from the garden store?

(2) What could've done this, and what should I do to prevent it happening again? Obviously I need to act fast, or in a few days I might not have any peppers left! The only pest I've ever really had a problem with was slugs, and I've never had them consume an entire plant almost from the ground up. Other than that, I live in a suburban neighborhood and our wildlife mainly consists of too many squirrels, birds, and a quite a few skinks, none of which have ever shown any interest in eating my pepper plants. (The squirrels sometimes dig around them -- which is extremely annoying and occasionally does some damage -- but I've never seen any evidence of squirrels actually eating the plants.)

This post was edited by matt_in_va on Thu, May 15, 14 at 11:25

Comments (29)

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

get yourself some diatomaceous earth to put around the base of your plants. this will deter slugs, as to them it's like sliding across broken glass.

and depending on how old your plants are, yes, they can recover. I cut a plant down to the soil line because I had 2 in a pot and wanted to only keep one. the one I cut down grew back. so all hope is not lost, but it is definitely a setback.

• matt_in_va Zone 7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I'll try some DE. Anyone else have thoughts?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I would guess they WILL recover. I have seen many destroyed plants come back. I dont think it was any kind of insect that ate your plants but an animal of some kind. It is hard to tell what exactly. Dog, cat, squirrel, rabbit, deer, coon, etc... Could be any. My guess is that it is happening at night so it might be tough to catch the culprit and until you find out what it is, it will be tough to figure out a way to deter them.
    Bruce

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

My guess is deer.

I'm sorry to hear that. They should recover though.

Stoney

• matt_in_va Zone 7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Three more got chewed up today while I was at work. Aaagh. Can't be deer. Our neighborhood is too built up. Has to be squirrels, domestic critters, or birds. I just put hardware cloth cages around the survivors. Hopefully that'll do until I figure out the culprit, and come up with a long term plan. Whatever it is, it's leaving my (much larger) tomato plants alone.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Maybe rabbits. It makes sense they are going after the younger, more tender plants, whatever "they" are. Chicken wire cages might be a solution. Just too bad you have to go through that much trouble to grow a pepper plant.

I simply don't understand why wild critters cannot be partial to plants such as "CRABGRASS".
    Bruce

• matt_in_va Zone 7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know. Plants everywhere and they gotta pick on *my* peppers!

Rabbits are possible, although with all the cats and dogs in the neighborhood, I'd be a little surprised if they were so bold during the day. In any event, hopefully the cages will do the job for now, and maybe the critters will lose interest when the plants get big enough.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Hoping they pull through for ya... And that you catch the little bandits!
    And Bruce, wouldn't it be great if all the little critters just ate the grass - I got plenty of that crap!!

Jay

• don555
    9 years ago

I was going to say rabbits too, but if it's happening during the day too, then probably not. Do you have groundhogs? Agreed that chicken wire cages might be your best solution. If that first reaper that was attacked was eaten down below the lowest leaf node, recovery might be very difficult.

• matt_in_va Zone 7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The hardware cloth cages are working. No further damage today.

The reaper was eaten below the first node. Fortunately I planted another reaper. I may go ahead and get a hab seedling from the store for that pot. One Thai sun is completely gone. The other two gnawed plants (purira and Thai sun) have the first leaf node intact. I won't give up on them.

• User
    9 years ago

If your bandits are vegetarians (squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, etc.) placing a few small containers or bowls of Blood Meal around your plants usually scares them away... blood odor and vegetarians don't mix ;-)

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

You can try trapping whatever it is. If it is a rabbit, should be pretty easy.
    You could also set up a camera and see who the culprit is.
    In any event, that sucks what happened.
    We get all kinds of wildlife in my area including deer and bear but I found the only culprit so far to be mocking birds stealing my smaller peppers. I have netting up now.

Stoney

• matt_in_va Zone 7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ottawapepper: So I've read. I may give that a try. But I'm keeping the cages until the plants outgrow them! (I'd try more, uh, aggressive measures, but it's a townhosue neighborhood and the neighbors might get upset.)

This post was edited by matt_in_va on Fri, May 16, 14 at 20:23

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

I work a swing shift and get home about 11pm pst.
    The first thing I do is go check on my babies.
    The wife thinks I'm nuts but we do love our plants.

I think they will bounce back too Matt.
    Is there a way to get them off ground level?
    There is always that possibility also as I am pretty certain it's something with four legs and not a bird.

Stoney

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Rabbits will hop up into a pot and chew seedlings and drip emitters off when it's too dry. This is how I take care of the problem with birds and squirrels, and the occasional 'coon. These are 'mater plants.

• matt_in_va Zone 7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is there anything special I can do to help the damaged plants recover?

• matt_in_va Zone 7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is there anything special I can do to help the damaged plants recover?

• seysonn
    9 years ago

TRAPS, TRAPS, TRAPS>

Then how about spraying the plant with HOT pepper sauce ?

They have special fencing material called rabbit fence.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Only time will tell Matt. I know it's a tough thing to look at but as long as the roots are intact and not disturbed, they should recover in time.
    I personally wouldn't add anything to them, just water and cage them too.

Stoney

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

>> Then how about spraying the plant with HOT pepper sauce ?

Great logo!

• matt_in_va Zone 7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good news. This poor little gnawed-up Thai sun is attempting a valiant recovery.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Looks like it will recover Matt..no worries. I can see little shoots forming.

Stoney

• matt_in_va Zone 7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep. It'll be way behind, but it looks like it has a good chance.

• johnpo
    9 years ago

To determine who is (was) eating your plants, you might try a game camera. They're fairly inexpensive. Motion activated, battery powered, night-vision (sorta -- actually just IR sensitive with an IR illuminator I think), made for outdoor use... Your culprit is sure to be captured on film (not real film, of course).

This post was edited by johnpo on Sat, May 24, 14 at 14:18

• PunkRotten
    9 years ago

Some liquid fertilizer higher in Nitrogen would give your plants a boost.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Late last season a rabbit ate my whole bed of beans, a little every night. It did not matter much because the beans were not producing other wise I would've trapped it.
    You wonder why with so much greens around and they eat your crops ! The reason is your crops are more tender and tastier.

• matt_in_va Zone 7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My hero! A month ago I doubted this little guy would make it.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Cool!

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Good job! Yep...peppers are tough little boogers.

Kevin

Sponsored