Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peppers 2012

Posted by chicagopepper 5b Chicago (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 11:39

Thanks to everyone who's been posting for the past couple of months. I've been wanting to join in the discussion but things have been too busy. Practically no time to tend to my peppers, but they don't seem to mind.

I have two Maui Purple peppers going this year, courtesy of the seeds Danny sent my way in.. 2010? My crop last year was pretty sad and I didn't get very good production. This year they all look a lot more healthy. Chicago's still chilly at night (going down to 42'F tonight) so I'm just now hardening them off and hoping to plant in the ground this weekend as it looks like low 50's at night after this week. I put 5 in the ground last week right before 3 days of thunderstorms and highs in the 50s/60s. Needless to say, those plants look pretty stressed at the moment. I definitely jumped the gun.

I've also got 4 or 5 Siling Haba seedlings (again, thanks Danny!) and I'm wondering if anyone has used/cooked with/eaten Siling Haba pods? All the info I can find online talks about the soup they make in the native Phillipines. I'm very intrigued. I grew Siling Haba last year, too, but like I said, my plants were pretty weak and didn't produce many pods. It's a nice looking plant though and very fast-growing.

This year the crop list includes:

Jalapeno
Serrano
Bolivian Rainbow
Maui Purple
Siling Haba
Habanero
Hungarian Wax
Cherry
Thai Red
Aji Omnicolor (Thanks Aji Joe!)
Peperoni Di Sinise (Thanks Danny!)
12" Finger Peppers (seeds from pepper sold at grocery store)

Many thanks to all for your advice over the years! All the best and happy growing.

Matt

Maui Purple
Maui Purple Peppers (2012), Maui Purple Peppers

Hardening off on the porch...
Photobucket

Habs, etc.
Photobucket

Siling haba (back right) and some others
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peppers 2012

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Wed, May 9, 12 at 13:18

Beautiful looking plants. You definitely have a good start going....but close to time to kick them out of the house and into the real world. Good luck and it looks like you have a great start to the growing season.
Bruce

o

Looks good! I haven't actually planted anything out yet, but, hopefully this weekend. These cool temps this week have had me moving everyone in the garage at night and back out in the morning (and during storms). :-)

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Wed, May 9, 12 at 18:44

Yep, I want to at least pot up my over winter plants but still talking under 40 tonight. It looks like a good run of sun coming up and temps might permit me to pot up my seedlings sooner than expected.
Bruce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here