Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ddavisgray

candied jalapenos

ddavisgray
14 years ago

I recently bought a jar of Candied Jalapenos and they were really wonderful and I decided to can a few jars this year.

After an intense search of the internet, I couldn't come up with a recipe for canning Candied Jalapenos. I found Bread and Butter Jalapenos, but no Candied ones.

The only ingredents in the Candied Jalapenos are Jalapeno peppers, Sugar, Vinegar and Salt according to the ingredents listed on the jar.

I did find a recipe for Candied Jalapenos that makes less than 2 cups, but I don't believe it's safe to can and I would like to make more than a couple of cups. Here's the recipe:

Cowboy Candy (Candied Jalapenos)

1 1/4 cup fresh jalapeno peppers--sliced

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup water

1 drop green food coloring (optional)

Combine jalapenos slices, sugar and water in sausepan.

Over medium heat, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes until jalapenos are cooked and liquid is reduced to a thick syrup.

Remove from heat and add a drop of food coloring if desired. Place in clean jar and refrigerate.

Can anyone help me increase the recipe and make it safe for canning?

Thank you in advance!!

doris

Comments (10)

• cabrita
    14 years ago

From grandma's kitchen, I found:

CANDIED JALAPENOS

1 gallon sliced jalapenos
    4 pounds of sugar
    canning jars

Drain jalapenos, pour 4 pounds of sugar over the peppers and let sit to make its own juice. Bring to a boil and cook until peppers take on a candied look. Pour into jars and turn upside down to seal. Serve after 2 weeks (earlier if you can't wait.) Pour some over large block of cream cheese that is at room temperature. Use as a spread on Waverly wafers or use chips.

This looks nice and simple. I will also post on the harvest forum, to make sure it is safe. I will be having lots of jalapenos, so I am interested in making some as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: grandma's kitchen

• ddavisgray
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for that recipe, Cabrita, I found that one also but it looks like it calls for jalapenos that are already canned. I really would like to know how to use my fresh jalapenos and can them up as candied.

My daughter would love the above recipe, she doesn't can foods and loves jalapenos. The recipe you listed sounds like a really easy way to make the candied jalapenos.

I'm hoping someone has done this before and can help me figure out how to can them.

I did copy the recipe off for my daughter. She'll be happy!

doris

• jdough
    14 years ago

I bought a gallon jar of the nacho jelopes. Drained the juice,layered jelopes then sugar. layered til used up peppers. poures remaining juice back into jar. Ate them up yum.Sweet then the back heat great on pizza.

• esox_xtm
    14 years ago

I had an introduction to "Cowboy Candy" a couple years ago and searched for a recipe as well. Couldn't find one..... So I took Grandmas refrigerator pickle recipe and adapted it to making peppers.

Cowboy Candy
    A tasty concoction of sweet pickled jalapeño peppers!

4 c. sugar
    4 c. vinegar
    1/3 c. salt
    1 ½ tsp. turmeric
    1 ½ tsp. celery seed
    1 ½ tsp. dry mustard

Mix all ingredients until dissolved. Slice jalapeños into nacho slice size or a little thicker and pack tightly into a glass jar. One pound usually fits into a quart. Heat some white vinegar to 160° and pour over the packed peppers and cover loosely.

Let stand at room temperature 1-3 days. Pour off the vinegar and replace with the refrigerator pickle recipe above. Cover and refrigerate.

In about 10 - 14 days you will be in Cowboy Candy heaven!

Options include, but are not limited to, additions of fresh onion, sweet pepper strips or carrot coins.

Enjoy!

Now, This is not a canning recipe(though I suppose you could), but they are easy enough to make more or less on demand. You do have to plan ahead by at least a couple of weeks though...........

• gardendawgie
    14 years ago

Proper candy is a slow process. look into candy orange slices etc.

Obviously if you first pickle the pepper then you lower the ph and that will preserve it. then you can sugar it.

If you want to dissolve the sugar then use as little vinegar as possible and no water. That will keep the ph low for preservation.

You can also simply make sweet pickled peppers by using lots of sugar in vinegar as the canning liquid. I think once the peppers are pickled real good they you will be OK as long as you do not add water to reduce the ph.

True candy slices would go through the sugar process several times to allow the pepper to absorbe as much sugar as possible. In general you make a maximum solution of sugar and vinegar. after soaking a few days to a week you add more sugar to the liquid then repeat that a few times.

You can store them in a couple of ways. You can dry them by rolling in dry sugar and you can dip into chocolate. a nice way to cover them. these make a sort of candy that is dry and you can eat with your hands. You can also store in liquid in a jar as a wet very sugary pickle. The candy form should be used in 3 months. The bottled can probably go longer.

If you have a party you can make the dry kind quickly. roll in sugar and dip in chocolate. keep cool for the chocolate is better if firm.

do google searches for candied orange peel.

Here is a link that might be useful: candied orange peel

• cadia
    13 years ago

Ree ( Pioneer Woman makes the best!
    Cowboy Candy
    * 3 pounds Firm, Fresh Jalapeno Peppers, Washed
    * 2 cups Cider Vinegar
    * 6 cups White Granulated Sugar
    * one half teaspoons Turmeric
    * one half teaspoons Celery Seed
    * 3 teaspoons Granulated Garlic
    * 1 teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper

Preparation Instructions

Wearing gloves, remove the stems from all of the jalapeno peppers. The easiest way to do this is to slice a small disc off of the stem-end along with the stem. Discard the stems.

Slice the peppers into uniform 1/8-1/4 inch rounds. Set aside.

In a large pot, bring cider vinegar, white sugar, turmeric, celery seed, granulated garlic and cayenne pepper to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the pepper slices and simmer for exactly 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the peppers, loading into clean, sterile canning jars to within 1/4 inch of the upper rim of the jar. Turn heat up under the pot with the syrup and bring to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 6 minutes.

Use a ladle to pour the boiling syrup into the jars over the jalapeno slices. Insert a cooking chopstick to the bottom of the jar two or three times to release any trapped pockets of air. Adjust the level of the syrup if necessary. Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean, damp paper towel and fix on new, two-piece lids to finger-tip tightness.

If you do not want to can these to the point of shelf stable, you can simply put the jars in your refrigerator and store them there. I prefer to keep the fridge space free so I can them. If you wish to can them, follow the instructions below.

Note: If you have leftover syrup, and it is likely that you will, you may can it in half-pint or pint jars, too. It�s wonderful brushed on meat on the grill or added to potato salad or, or, or � in short, don�t toss it out!

To can, place jars in a canner and cover with water by 2-inches. Bring the water to a full rolling boil. When it reaches a full rolling boil, set the timer for 10 minutes for half-pints or 15 minutes for pints. When timer goes off, use canning tongs to transfer the jars to a cooling rack. Leave them to cool, undisturbed, for 24 hours. When fully cooled, wipe them with a clean, damp washcloth, then label.

Allow to mellow for at least two weeks, but preferably a month before eating. Or don�t. I won�t tell!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pioneer Woman

• brendaswhite100_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have been making candied jalapenos for several years now and made a new batch last night. For the first time, the sugar has settled in the bottom of the canning jar. I used peppers, water and sugar. Boil the sugar to syrup consistency. First time this has happened - should I be using vinegar instead of water?

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

The first recipe was posted on the Harvest Forum - still not sure it's safe for canning but Carol (readinglady) gave a recipe for "Bread and Butter Jalapenos" that is.

Never tried them - DH likes his peppers raw, pickled, or in hot sauce. Doesn't have a sweet tooth.

Here is a link that might be useful: harvest thread on sweet pickled jalapenos

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Oops, sorry, same name MUCH different recipe! You definitely need vinegar to can it, even though the one Kay posted on Harvest (the first recipe on the thread I linked) says to refrigerate.

• WUVIE
    11 years ago

Oh, yummy! Cadia, thank you for posting Rebecca's recipe for Candied Jalapenos from the 'Foodie with Family' blog site.

:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Candied Jalapenos - recipe posted by Rebecca