Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Harvest Seed Swap 2013

Posted by thismembername none (My Page) on
Sun, May 12, 13 at 12:20

I am going to host a seed swap from first harvest of peppers.

To start, I am only asking that those interested in participating that have seeds to share sign up. AKA Donors

I want to nail out the seed availability, types, etc before asking member's to join in to ensure everyone gets a good collection of seeds.

After the seeds are collected and split up, then other users can sign up to receive seeds by sending a SASBE (Self addressed, stamped bubble envelope).

This is a great way to share your loved pepper varieties, and to obtain other types you might not already have.

Anyone that has seeds to contribute and would like to take part please post.

DATES
Seed Collection will start on Sept 16nd
Seed distribution will be nov 12nd

If needed, here is some helpful instructions / tips for saving seed.
http://www.thechileman.org/guide_seedsaving.php
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/m1226.html

This post was edited by thismembername on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 0:40

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Harvest Seed Swap 2013

thus far, two members have privately contacted me to contribute seeds to the swap.

the list of available seed types is growing. anyone else interested in joining in to provide seeds after your first harvest of peppers please post or send me an email/ message .

o

I would like to participate. I am growing 4 types of peppers from seeds I ordered from gourmet seeds.
1. Yolo Wonder.
2. Early Jalapeno
3. Reina- an f1 hybrid
4. Ancho Ranchero-an f1 hybrid (or Ancho Giganta- not a hybrid, I need to check the package.)

I realize the hybrids may not be a good trade, so if that is the case, I will have 2 (or 3) for trading. I have never isolated for seed saving before, so I would really appreciate any advice I could get to have reliable seed.

Approx when will the swap take place. I am a long way from fruit right now.
Lynn

o

I have a winter jalapeno still on the plant, but it will be some time before anything else will be ripe. Are you looking for seeds left over from previous swaps?

o

thanks for your interest.

no, not seeds from the previous swap, this is seeds keep from this years grow, and from your first harvest of peppers.

We will need some time for everyone to get ripe pods, and then collect the seeds, mail them, etc.

I have some black cuban's, ghost peppers, and a few other types I am sharing personally. After we get a good amount of donors, I will provide contact details to start the process.

I would guess that we are about a month out from ripe peppers that we will be able to swap. Getting the ball rolling early.

o

I sent an email but I will also post here. My list is as follows for this year:

Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow
Trinidad Scorpion Orange
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga
Trinidad 7 pot Jonah
Trinidad 7 pot Brainstrain
Trinidad 7 pot Yellow
Jay's Ghost Scorpion Red
Jay's Ghost Scorpion Peach
Red Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Devil's Tounge
Orange Hab
Purple Hab
White Hab
Chocolate Hab
Caribbean Red Hab
Scotch Bonnet
Bishop's Crown
Tree Habanero
Carolina Reaper (hp22b)

o

I might be interested, depending on when the swap will be - I'm not even getting my plants until June 3rd, so it will take a while to get to first harvest...

o

I am growing:

Black Pearl Peppers
Jalapeno Peppers
Ring of Fire Cayenne Peppers (if they ever germinate)

I know it isn't a whole lot but I would like to participate.

o

@mnclerk
Yeah you are right, some people have a last frost date as late as early June.

To allow everyone interested the ability to participate, and to give everyone enough time to get healthy and mature pods, and time to dry the seeds before shipping.

Seed Collection will occur on Sept 2nd
Seed distribution will be Oct 2nd

Hopefully this will give everyone enough time

updating the original post to stay current.

@Hiddenleafgrower
Sounds great.

This post was edited by thismembername on Wed, May 22, 13 at 8:21

o

Can I also add:
Habanero
Tabasco
and my cayennes finally peaked out yesterday :-)
Possibly Anaheim pepper (just got some little starts from a friend but I don't know if they will produce in time).

So my available list will be this:

Black Pearl Peppers
Jalapeno Peppers
Ring of Fire Cayenne Peppers
Habanero
Tabasco
Maybe Anaheim

o

July 15th collection, you would be lucky to get ripe pods from the super hots, other varieties like jalapeno and Cayanne possible. Though it takes a very long time for a jalapeno to turn red for seed collecting.

If you started super hots in December or early January you may be in luck to meet the deadline. Good luck with your swap.

I posted a link to last season below on July 15th 2012 I only had some Jalapeno's green not red and a few ripe Habanero's that being said I started seeds December 30th. My other super hots had some immature green pods.

I would recommend pushing your date to August/Sept unless you are not interested in super hots being in the swap

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: July 15th 2012 season for comparison

This post was edited by habjolokia on Wed, May 22, 13 at 7:52

o

I have taken your suggestion and pushed the date back to allow proper time for superhots enough time to fully mature.

dates have been updated, hope this allows you and everyone else enough time to participate.

o

Got some really nice growth now that its hot. My black cubans are taking off.

I also have a few pepper plants fully isolated that I plan to share in the seed swap. They are Prik Kee Nu.

http://chilibase.info/?Peper=Prik+Kee+Noo

o

Something has eaten my Jalapeno plants (also got one of my cayenne, my melons and some tomatoes D: ), so I wont have those in the swap, I will have the rest though.

o

Im sending out emails to start the seed swap.

MNCLERK please email me from my profile page as your profile doesnt have your email listed.

o

I am still waiting for plants as I put a few in late but I can possibly contribute:
Chimayo
Alma
Black Pearl
Habaneros
and a few others. I just don't know what will be in.

o

awesome, I sent you an email with more details

o

is it too late to join in?

Here is a list if what I got open pollinated :

1. Carolina reaper
2. Cayenne blend
3. Jalape�o
4. Sweet banana
5. Santa Fe
6. Habanero
7. Scotch bonnet
8. Red Caribbean
9. Red mushroom
10. Naga variant
11. Bolivian rainbow

o

not to late at all, sent you an email to the email listed on your account for more details. Thanks for joining

o

For some reason I never got your email

o

The only seeds I would have that are not already listed are Ring of Fire
Devil's Tongue

I am also growing
Moruga, Butch T, 7 Pot and Jalapeno

oh and those weird ones which everyone has been trying to help me identify.

If any of these are of use, I would be most happy to contribute.

o

Hey CanadianLori
your welcome to join

to keep everything in order I have started a thread separate from this site (as we have donors from multiple sites its easier to have everything in one place). This also prevents issues with private messages and emails not being received as I have had several problems with this on Gardenweb. Hope this helps scott.

anyone interested please post/message me here

http://www.nathanheafner.com/forums/discussion/2/seed-swap-2013

Here is a link that might be useful: http://nathanheafner.com/forums/discussion/2/seed-swap-2013#latest

This post was edited by thismembername on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 15:51

o

anyone that wants to join the swap please visit the following link, click sign in/register and join the thread. Make a simple reply and I will message you directly with the address to mail to.

http://nathanheafner.com/forums/discussion/2/seed-swap-2013#latest

Here is a link that might be useful: http://nathanheafner.com/forums/discussion/2/seed-swap-2013#latest

o

People I have so far.

itsreallyhot - your all setup, message sent with details
CanadianLori - see you registered, message sent.

if you have any trouble getting setup please let me know.

o

Thismembername -

Has the above noted seed swap already concluded? I ask b/c there are some newbies that are interested in participating. Pls advise

o

Thismembername -

Has the above noted seed swap already concluded? I ask b/c there are some newbies that are interested in participating. Pls advise

o
Need Anaheim pepper seeds

Hi All,
Anyone have Anaheim pepper seeds they would be willing to swap? I have lots of seeds (some in large quantities, some small) which I can offer.

o

This is an old thread. The swap never came off.

Suz, please check other threads for swaps or start a new one.

Dennis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here