Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fiedlermeister

Pro Mix

fiedlermeister
16 years ago

If you have a Blue Seal near you it is on sale for $19.95 /3.8 cf bale.

john

Comments (25)

• fiedlermeister
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just to let it move down

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    16 years ago

And I thought the 3.8 compressed bag with mycorrhize I just bought at $26.99 was a good price.

• fiedlermeister
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Regular price at Blue Seal is $24.95

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    16 years ago

Not sure what Blue Seal is, I just got mine from a local landscape supply company.

• fiedlermeister
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pretty neat store. They have lots of gardening stuff in addition to feeds. Today there was a very small goat walking around and a dog sleeping on the floor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Seal

• donandsara
    16 years ago

$28 on the West side of Cleveland (Gale's) for last year's BX...yeesh! Date code was so faded I couldnt read it.

But: it's still in good shape, it's 5 minutes away, and we ARE in a big metro area. Lots of places carrying Premier's ProMoss, but not Pro Mix. ...and a bale oughta last me a season.

If I find a need for more than 1 bale at a time I may look a bit further afield...

--Don

• ncage
    16 years ago

I wish i could even find the stuff in my area. I have tried:
    1) Walmart
    2) Lowes
    3) Farm & Home
    4) Big R
    5) Menards

I have not had any luck at all finding it.

• stonesriver
    16 years ago

Did you try your county co-op? Mine carries Pro Mix, Farfard and Metro Mix. Plus, I can get coarse perlite and coarse vermiculite. Elsewhere, I can only get fine or medium.

Linda

• donandsara
    16 years ago

ncage...Try http://www.premierhort.com and go to Distributor locator for Professional products. You might be surprised...

FYI...Home Depot here carries the Promix Potting and ProMix Container in the mini-bales...but not BX. I bet the profit margin is way is better on those!!!

--Don

• ncage
    16 years ago

Thanks for hint donandsara but it says the closest place to my location is 60 miles away :(

• dbags
    16 years ago

i am just wondering if it is possible to make my own mix,seeing as pro-mix is so difficult to come across in some areas and in the larger sizes.Does anyone know what exactly is in pro-mix anyway?

• ardnek710
    16 years ago

I make my own mix and I think it works great for potted plants. It has excellent drainage. Components are basically:
    1 large bag mushroom compost
    1/2-3/4 bag perlite
    1/4-1/2 bag sand
    mix together

kendra

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    16 years ago

Where do you find mushroom compost? I am guessing I will be searching hi and low for it here in Florida with people looking at me strange from my request like I am an alien.

• dbags
    16 years ago

Dont feel bad pepperz,,I was about to ask the same question and im up here in CT.Maybe it is available here ,but i just never noticed.I Wonder if anything,(cow,horse manure,compost from the bin,etc..)would be comparable?

• ardnek710
    16 years ago

we get the mushroom compost for one of the grocery stores that sells the huge bags of top soil, mulch, potting soil, etc. They happen to have bags of mushroom compost also. I don't think cow or horse would be quite the same texture. Maybe you could mix in earthworm castings also

kendra

• wayassfasterthanyou
    16 years ago

watch for lawsuits on this stuff you guys call mycorrhize or micro??? in the promix.
    it is the result of stunted plants and many greenhouse owners looking for compensation on what it has done to our plants .
    I have 600 bales of this weed riden garbage and will never use it again.
    a friend in the business has 17000 plants that are in this soil and nothing but problems .
    shayne

• cmpman1974
    16 years ago

Shayne,

I am VERY interested in this issue. I have had weak plants this season and the only difference from previous years was I used the ProMix Bx with mycorrhize. I used to use regular ProMix Bx. Plants are weak for the most part.

However, others use it and have reported success. There are so many variables to isolate that I can't pinpoint this as my problem. I can say I've NEVER seen such small pepper plants after 3 months under lights.

It gor me very frustrated this season.

Chris

• donandsara
    16 years ago

The Premier www site doesnt give the exact formula...but Promix BX and Promix Potting/Seeding appear to have similar ingredients...maybe a good choice for those who can't find BX...

The Potting & seeding mix is at every Home Depot around here (Cleveland OH)

--Don

• koreyk
    16 years ago

There is a big mushroom place in connecticut that will sell you spent mushroom compost. I believe you can buy it cheap by the truckload and smaller amounts. It was too far for me to drive. I found it on the internet. I am sure you can find it. Some people should know where it is located.

• fiedlermeister
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm having my usual good results with Pro Mix. I used to buy mycorrhizal fungi separately before they added it to Pro Mix ( I learned from jt),

john

• wayassfasterthanyou
    16 years ago

this stuff is crap!!!!!
    I have more and more issues everyday cause of this crap
    !!!
    I talked to a guy and looks like a huge batch of promix was done wrong and is causing havok in the greenhouse industry.
    miracle grow is hitting the public with major advertising on there soil and people are loving it.
    I hope that in the future there will be soil that is just dirt and not all that other junk so i can grow stuff that i can control what fertalizer is in it and not what the big guys think i need...

• shelbyguy
    16 years ago

"topsoil" is just plain old pulverized black dirt. my mix this year was equal parts topsoil, mushroom compost, composted manure, perlite, and then the usual soil amendments.

• ardnek710
    16 years ago

That is why you buy or otherwise obtain your own dirt (topsoil), compost, perlite, sand, etc and mix your own. It is way cheaper than most of those store bought ones and you have absolute control over the ingredients.

I would like more details on exactly was done "wrong" with the promix. Making potting/seed starting mix is not exactly rocket science and what could they have done differently that is causing all these problems.
    Besides, I bet you can find just as many people with legitimate problems with Miracle Grow and other brands of potting soil

kendra

• dbags
    16 years ago

What exactly is mycorrhizal fungi,anyway?

• fiedlermeister
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I used to have an Agway--miss it.

Here is a link that might be useful: fungi info

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES