Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to put over-wintered peppers outside

Posted by michelelc 6A MA (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 11 at 12:53

Hi,

I am new to over-wintering peppers. I did it for the first time this year. About half of the ones I over-wintered made it. I have a thai, cayenne, jalapeno and poblano left. I was wondering when I can put them outside, and if they need to be hardened off? I have been cutting the leaves and branches off over the winter, that would grow. Now, I have left the new growth alone the past few weeks.
Thanks,
Michele

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to put over-wintered peppers outside

Yes, they should be hardened off to the outdoor conditions. You can leave them outside after the hardening off as long as it isn't going to frost or freeze, but they would probably be happier if nights were above the 40's. You might want to bring them in and out on a daily basis if you have cold nights.

o

Yes, the new growth isn't used to the full power of the Sun. Harden them off. The rule of thumb I have always heard is nights no colder than 50. The occasional dip to the 40's will probably be ok.

I'm looking for mostly 50's at night myself before up-potting and taking my over-wintered plants back out. I don't like having to drag them in and out any more than I have to. :-)

o

Thanks for the advice. I will slowly harden off the peppers. There are only 4, so taking them in at night won't be a big deal :). Now if the weather would just cooperate. It's been a cool spring here in MA. I also have seedlings of some habanero, jalepeno, serrano, hungarian wax as well as 3 varieties of bell peppers started, and the are growing slowly. I want to get these out in some sunshines also!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here