Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnmarie_

Sad Jalapenos

LynnMarie_
10 years ago

Hi,

I am having problems with my jalapenos and was hoping I could get some feedback from you all.

I planted 4 varieties of peppers. The others (pablanos, green bells, and a red sweet) have done well, but the jalapenos never have looked good. The seedlings looked good until their first uppotting. I did them the same way I did the others except that the mix the jalapenos went into was much wetter than the mix the other three got. The other three came through it great.

I let it the soil dry out after transplanting, but it took over a week for that.

Could that cause a lasting problem that persists to now? That was probably 2 months ago. They are smaller, paler, and weaker than my other peppers. Or should I look for a different cause? I don't think I have done anything different with them than I did with the others.

I put them all in Miracle Grow potting mix, they've been under fluorescent lights, and in 60-70* area. There were a few knats, but no other pests.

If you could tell me if too much water at that early stage would cause this poor health I would really appreciate it. Is it going to persist after I plant them in the garden? Or is it possible they will recover and grow normally?

Thank you,
Lynn

Comments (6)

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    10 years ago

They don't look totally bad.
    It's probably soil, water and light -- haha, which doesn't help, huh?

Some look like they are getting lanky (etiolated) and the soil looks like I'd expect MG to look.
    Depending on when you're able to put them outside in full sun, if it's going to be longer than a week from now, I'd probably repot into at LEAST a MG+Perlite (60:40 ratio?) for now. There we so many soil posts in the container forum that would probably be even better but assuming you're looking for the easiest solution -- I would think that's it. And then get them into more light immediately. I don't use indoor lights but based on what I have read, they have to be REALLY close to the seedlings, and given the height of your other seedlings shown in the photo, I suspect you can't get them close enough to these peppers without crushing into the larger ones?

I'm curious why you used a different soil for only the Jalapeños?

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

The plants need to be repotted they are already too large for the containers they are in. Also what type of MG did you use? It looks like Organic choice which contain hardwood that leeches nitrogen from your soil and the slow release nitrogen from chicken manure in it, can't compete. Also as stated by Sugi_C it would be best to add perlite to the mix this allows oxygen to the roots and keeps the soil from compacting. Also have you used any fertilizer?

Mark

• don555
    10 years ago

Looks to me like they need a shot of fertilizer and some brighter light. With fluorescent lights the lights should be about an inch or two above the tops of the plants. I have my lights set up on chains so I can raise or lower them, but you can accomplish the same result by putting something under the pots so they are higher and closer to the lights.

As for water, I think it takes the blame far too often. Cold and wet will definitely hurt peppers, but it takes time, and the results are reversible. When I add water to my tray of peppers they often sit in standing water for a day or two, and I never let them dry out completely. When peppers start to grow on the plants letting the pots dry out then I think makes the peppers hotter, but when the plants are young I try to keep the growing conditions optimum, and that means water and fertilizer.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

I agree. Some sunshine and ferts should perk them up considerably.

• LynnMarie_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, it sounds like next year I need to add perlite to my mix and be more consistant with my lights. I have used a blooms and roots fetilizer on them occasionally-about once a week. They still have had purpling leaves/ veins and a smaller, weaker appearance than my other peppers.

Sugi C. I used the same mix as the other peppers, I just got it wetter than i intended to when preparing it for transplanting.

For these plants, I will get them in the ground this weekend. I have full sun nearly all day. What should I use as a fertilizer in the garden? The only fert my parents ever use is grass clippings as a mulch. I don't have grass, so that is out. I would like something more to the purpose anyway. What would you all recommend? What sort of n-p-k should I look for?

Thank you all for your input! It is information I need for my next run at peppers. I did better this time than my trial run over the winter. I killed all my seedlings before they got to this size :(

Lynn

• Phildeez
    10 years ago

They look a bit overwatered too judging by the color. Could be the lighting but I would be cautious.