Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

what happens if I grind up seeds?

judo_and_peppers
9 years ago

I recently ground up a very large amount of dry peppers, to make a moderate amount of very fine powder. in the process I sifted out the seeds, which took some chunks of pepper with them. I didn't throw out the seeds. what I'm considering doing is grinding up the seeds/leftover chunks, to make a lighter colored much less hot powder. I figured lots of pepper seeds make it into people's powders anyway, and will probably just act as a filler. am I wrong on this assumption? is there any negatives associated with grinding up the seeds too?

the powder in the pic is much darker colored than it appears in the picture. idk why it looks so light.

Comments (11)

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Juno,

When I grind my peppers, I use everything including the seed (not the stem, remove that). I do not believe you have to remove the seeds unless you plan on using them for replanting. I also think that if you remove the seeds, you also pull out the placenta, or a chunk of it, which contains a lot of heat. It is also very time consuming to do a bunch of pods.

I say just do the whole pod. I am not sure that doing a separate batch of just seed powder will be any different than the pod batch. There is no negative affect that I know of other than your batch is smaller without the seeds, maybe less taste since there is less flavor from the meat and probably a much lighter color.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Tue, May 13, 14 at 14:01

• seysonn
    9 years ago

As you said, seeds having no heat of their own, can act a filler. BUT I thinks seeds can add a different flavor and aroma than the rest of the pod. In herbs, seeds have much potent flavor than the other parts of the plants. seed contents are made of select materials.
    JMO

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

All depends on what variety of pepper you're dealing with. Some varieties have a not so pleasant taste(bitterness). But with superhots, I grind the whole thing. When I do the mash thing to make my sauce, I run them whole through the processor. After the fermentation, when pureeing, they go through the blender also. But then I run it all through a strainer and it catches quite a few of the left over seeds. So, my finished product is a nice emulsification that's almost like a ketchup, but not quite so thick.

Kevin

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Saw your post on another thread Jason. I could have sent tons of powder...lol Not mixed too, like the pods.

Kevin

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

I always take the seed out of my powder. There is not enough of anything on there anyway. Throw them in the trash and forget about them. Nice powder ,try a teaspoon in a small jar of mustard I eat it on everything.

• pepper_rancher
    9 years ago

dont throw them in the trash! very slightly process them (CHOP) in the food processor just to break the chunks up and you have your own "pepper flakes" (aka pizza topping, etc)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I have never really tested it but I thought seeds were pretty high compared to other parts???

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I have never really tested it but I thought seeds were pretty high compared to other parts???

• pepper_rancher
    9 years ago

seeds are considered hot because they are coated in the 'seed membrane' which is where the heat really is...

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I agree with pepper_rancher.

But the contents inside is like the contents inside a hen's egg; Highly nutritious and condensed. I am sure it has a lot of protein among other things. I wont eat pepper and tomato seeds, as they are so tough that (after forcing your stomach to produce lots of acid) will come out still viable; D. But ground with other parts , would give a special flavor, me thinks.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Yah, the seeds themselves are very low in capsaicin. But the seed is surrounded by the placenta which is very high in capsaicin. When you excavate the seeds from a pod you get both, and the placenta dries very thin and hard to see. If you wash the surrounding tissues off the seeds you can feed the seeds to women and children with a clear conscience.

Dennis

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH