Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what did I do wrong?

Posted by tworivers1 mo z6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 11 at 13:35

This is first year trying to grow peppers from seeds and the seeds I planted six weeks have two sets of leaves but are only about three inches tall and very thin. They are so thin, I've been afraid to repot them from the starting mix. The weather so far this year in St Louis has ranged from 90 four weeks ago to a high of 53 yesterday so I think I still have time to plant them if they'll grow.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The varities are Early Jalapeno, Much Nacho, Joe Parker and Chimayo.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what did I do wrong?

What's your light source?

Josh

o

What Josh asked and what are they in presently?

o

I grew them under flourescent lights along with 200 tomatoes which grew fine. For the past two weeks they've been outside on a table on my patio - probably 6 hours full sun and part sun the rest of the time.

They are still in the soil starter mix because I wasn't sure I could transplant them since they were so small. It hasn't been that long since they got their first set of true leaves.

o

What have the night temps been?

If they've gotten cold, growth will slow to a crawl.

What size containers?

Josh

o

In addition to Josh's post, were they started in seeding mix? If so, have you fed them anything. Seeds usually store enough energy to get the plant to its first "true" leafs (2'nd leafs). Basic seedling mix contains very little nutrient for the plant. Beside environmental factors they could be hungry?

If you haven't fed yet you may want to start with 1/4 strength fertilizer.

Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here