Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drscottr

General Pepper Question - Ripening

drscottr
11 years ago

I have grown peppers for years - both hot and bell varieties. I never seem to get my bell peppers to change to red,yellow, etc.

I plant in mid May in raised beds. The beds get full sun and are filled with 50% compost 50% screened top soil. Everything else grows well. I get plenty of peppers but get few that convert.

Any thoughts?

Comments (17)

• tsheets
    11 years ago

It just takes a really long time. If you leave them, and don't run out of season, they will turn eventually.

• drscottr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Don't disagree but the season here is long May 15 - Oct 15 - approx 150 days. Seems long enough. I get maybe 5 total conversions on 20+ plants.

• capoman
    11 years ago

Try containers instead of soil. I am in zone 5a, and never got ripe ones in the ground. In containers, they mature and ripen much faster. Almost 8 weeks sooner in containers then in the ground for my location. I got lots of red peppers last year. I believe it is due to soil temperature. I use black containers.

Alternatively, you could try black plastic mulch in the ground to do the same.

• capoman
    11 years ago

One note about peppers. If they start to turn at all, just keep them at room temperature, and they turn completely over time.

• drscottr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Capoman

May I ask what size container is required?

Thanks

Scott

• User
    11 years ago

Your season should be long enough. Do you start your Bell's indoors and transplant to the garden or start from seed in the garden?

For Bells, I'd say 5 gallon is the minimum pot size.

• drscottr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ottawa

Start them inside. Some I do myself and I usually buy a few as well. I do tend to buy the smaller seedlings to avoid them being root bound.

Scott

• farmerdill
    11 years ago

Variety is important. Ripe bells are a new phenomenon in the USA. Most of the older varieties were developed to hold green as long as possible because green bells were desired. There are a lot of newer varieties that ripen much faster. Those intended as for use as ripe bells will usually list two DTM's one for green and one for ripe.

• capoman
    11 years ago

I start mine indoors in February, and start harvesting end of July. I've experimented with 1.5, 3, 5, and 7 gallon containers, and found that I didn't get more yield past 3 gallon. Since you are a couple zones south, with a longer season, I agree with Ottawapepper in suggesting 5 gallon is a good place to start.

Others are right though, your season should be long enough if you start early indoors. If you do go in the ground, I would suggest the black mulch, as I even know people in Texas that do that. Might want to experiment with both to see what works best for you.

• drscottr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Think I may try all three ways to compare this year - black mulch, no mulch, and 5 gallon containers. Anyone know where one gets 5 gallon containers? Home depot I guess?

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Any cheap pot or 5 gal bucket will do. Walmart, Home Depot, etc.. Be sure to drill holes if using a bucket. Also, in the container, you don't want potting *soil*, you want potting "mix", unless you're going to make your own.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Yah, shop around, you can pay 10-20 dollars for a 5 gallon container or even more. A simple 5 gallon bucket will work fine. Just poke holes in the bottom for drainage. Look around. I am guessing you may be able to pick up some clearance ones in your area soon. I got most of my 7 gal containers from Walmart when they were on sale over the winter for $5.95.
    Bruce

• spencers_mom2
    11 years ago

I just got the Real Tree one at Walmart for $5.97. They also have ones with trout. I know everyone is jealous now..

Erin

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Nice. How can those not grow great peppers.
    Bruce

• capoman
    11 years ago

When I mentioned black mulch, I meant black plastic mulch, not black organic mulch. Black plastic will warm up the soil, but has the downside that it's hard to get water through it. Works best with a soaker hose or some other method of watering under the plastic by hand. On the good side, black plastic mulch will basically eliminate weeding, so it's a trade-off. If it's not too hot for people in Texas to use, I'm sure it will be ok for you.

• User
    11 years ago

I'm not as style conscious as Erin ;-) I just use cheap $2 five gallons pots from a local hydroponics store.

They work for me.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Well, that looks like it will grow some great peppers too.
    Bruce

Sponsored