Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
General Pepper Question - Ripening

Posted by drscott 7a (central MD) (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 13:58

I have grown peppers for years - both hot and bell varieties. I never seem to get my bell peppers to change to red,yellow, etc.

I plant in mid May in raised beds. The beds get full sun and are filled with 50% compost 50% screened top soil. Everything else grows well. I get plenty of peppers but get few that convert.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: General Pepper Question - Ripening

It just takes a really long time. If you leave them, and don't run out of season, they will turn eventually.

o

Don't disagree but the season here is long May 15 - Oct 15 - approx 150 days. Seems long enough. I get maybe 5 total conversions on 20+ plants.

o

Try containers instead of soil. I am in zone 5a, and never got ripe ones in the ground. In containers, they mature and ripen much faster. Almost 8 weeks sooner in containers then in the ground for my location. I got lots of red peppers last year. I believe it is due to soil temperature. I use black containers.

Alternatively, you could try black plastic mulch in the ground to do the same.

o

One note about peppers. If they start to turn at all, just keep them at room temperature, and they turn completely over time.

o

Capoman

May I ask what size container is required?

Thanks

Scott

o

Your season should be long enough. Do you start your Bell's indoors and transplant to the garden or start from seed in the garden?

For Bells, I'd say 5 gallon is the minimum pot size.

o

Ottawa

Start them inside. Some I do myself and I usually buy a few as well. I do tend to buy the smaller seedlings to avoid them being root bound.

Scott

o

Variety is important. Ripe bells are a new phenomenon in the USA. Most of the older varieties were developed to hold green as long as possible because green bells were desired. There are a lot of newer varieties that ripen much faster. Those intended as for use as ripe bells will usually list two DTM's one for green and one for ripe.

o

I start mine indoors in February, and start harvesting end of July. I've experimented with 1.5, 3, 5, and 7 gallon containers, and found that I didn't get more yield past 3 gallon. Since you are a couple zones south, with a longer season, I agree with Ottawapepper in suggesting 5 gallon is a good place to start.

Others are right though, your season should be long enough if you start early indoors. If you do go in the ground, I would suggest the black mulch, as I even know people in Texas that do that. Might want to experiment with both to see what works best for you.

o

Think I may try all three ways to compare this year - black mulch, no mulch, and 5 gallon containers. Anyone know where one gets 5 gallon containers? Home depot I guess?

o

Any cheap pot or 5 gal bucket will do. Walmart, Home Depot, etc.. Be sure to drill holes if using a bucket. Also, in the container, you don't want potting *soil*, you want potting "mix", unless you're going to make your own.

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Thu, May 3, 12 at 11:54

Yah, shop around, you can pay 10-20 dollars for a 5 gallon container or even more. A simple 5 gallon bucket will work fine. Just poke holes in the bottom for drainage. Look around. I am guessing you may be able to pick up some clearance ones in your area soon. I got most of my 7 gal containers from Walmart when they were on sale over the winter for $5.95.
Bruce

o

I just got the Real Tree one at Walmart for $5.97. They also have ones with trout. I know everyone is jealous now..

Photobucket

Erin

o

Thu, May 3, 12 at 13:10

Nice. How can those not grow great peppers.
Bruce

o

When I mentioned black mulch, I meant black plastic mulch, not black organic mulch. Black plastic will warm up the soil, but has the downside that it's hard to get water through it. Works best with a soaker hose or some other method of watering under the plastic by hand. On the good side, black plastic mulch will basically eliminate weeding, so it's a trade-off. If it's not too hot for people in Texas to use, I'm sure it will be ok for you.

o

I'm not as style conscious as Erin ;-) I just use cheap $2 five gallons pots from a local hydroponics store.

They work for me.

o

Thu, May 3, 12 at 16:20

Well, that looks like it will grow some great peppers too.
Bruce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here