Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trfanatic

Pic of my 3 year old Bhut Jolokia

trfanatic
14 years ago

I did a big pruning about 3 weeks ago and the plants responded with alot of new growth and now flowers. They produced prodigiously last year as two year olds so I expect a big bounty this year.

I also attached a pic from last year.

Ravi

{{gwi:1170805}}

{{gwi:1170806}}

Comments (23)

• filaluvr
    14 years ago

How wonderful. Great pictures! Thanks for posting. Got any seeds? Kathy

• User
    14 years ago

Very nice looking plants!

john

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

awesome

• web_of_hair
    14 years ago

Awesome! I so want to make a room dedicated to overwintering my potted plants.....

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

ditto

• naturalstuff
    14 years ago

Wow, sweet! How much do you prune off the top?

• trfanatic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all for the kind words.
    They are in a bathtub.

naturalstuff I just pruned back to the nearest joint throughout the tree.

Just an FYI when I put them out last year (as two year olds) I don't think I had to harden them off as the branches were already "woodlike" and not fragile at all. This year I don't think I will harden them off.

Ravi

• filaluvr
    14 years ago

What lights did you use for them while indoors? What soil? Thanks, Kathy

• bob_in_pc
    14 years ago

Those are very nice looking plants and good pictures.

If you don't mind me asking, were those seed you bought or through trade? And of course, how hot are they?

Bob

• trfanatic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Bob. No I don't mind you asking--I bought them 3 years ago from a company in England. They are hot beyond belief--my family is West Indian and eating whole hot peppers are generally not a big deal--these peppers though are absolutely nuclear and truly dangerous to handle.
    I grew them indoors the first year so as not to hyridize and so I gathered pure seed from them. Last summer they were outside and looked like Christmas trees with all the peppers hanging from them.
    filaluvr I have attached some pics with more detail of my setup in my basement bathtub--I use one 48 inch fixture with 2 flourescent bulbs. I just shorten the chain as the plant grows. The foil is to reflect the light back to the plant. I think I used a combination of Pro Mix and Miracle Grow soil.

Ravi

{{gwi:1170809}}

• filaluvr
    14 years ago

Amazing. Thank you soo much for the pictures. Hubby has some planning because we want some bhuts after he got some dried ones as a gift. Used two of them to make a half gallon how sauce with 6 jalapenos and the heat was just right for him. I would not touch them. He has done soo much for me as i have a broken leg that refuses to heal after 6 mos. Least I can do is get him some nice peppers started. I have the less hot Bhut baby plants but will find some of the hotter ones soon, just hard to know what you are getting when you order them online. Kathy

• trfanatic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

filaluvr what do you mean "Bhut baby plants"?

Ravi

• filaluvr
    14 years ago

I have some small aka 'baby' Bhut Jolokia C, Frutescena plants. I have spent so much time with these pepper plants they are like children to me. i am at home with a broken leg that wont heal so LOTs of time to garden....
    Kathy

• chillilover
    14 years ago

You mean Naga Jolokia Frutecens.

• starry_night
    14 years ago

Nice plants!

• then_then
    14 years ago

Did they produce at all for you in the first year? I'm having the first success with these this year so I'm curious to know. My closest friend is Assamese and we're both looking forward to being able cook up some nice Assamese dishes... you might be surprised to know that his father, like other men of his generation apparently, eats a naga jolokia with each meal. They are apparently quite good with lemon juice.

• trfanatic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, they produce great fruit first year, see attached pics outside and brought indoors.
    So filaluvr, sorry I am not too knowledgeable--do you have the actual Bhut Jolokia or not?

{{gwi:1170810}}

{{gwi:1170811}}

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Y'all are nuts...must have to wear one of those nuclear suits when you work on these plants...lol. I don't see how any human being could eat even a small piece of the hottest pepper in the world. I have trouble somtetimes with Habanero's...lol.

• drewculous
    14 years ago

those are way cool! Hopefully that last set of pics will be my basement this winter, lol. Got 6 rolling along pretty well!

• fffgt
    14 years ago

Those are such short, bushy plants! Last year, mine were set out when they were about 4 inches tall and 5 inches wide. They just sat there for some time, but eventually took off and grew to 3+ feet tall, and covered with chiles. Nice photos!

• mdgardengurl
    14 years ago

I am growing this pepper for the first time this year. Your's are absolutely beautiful! I am glad I found this post because I was not aware that you could grow them for more than one year. Through the winter, do you need to keep them under the lights?
    Thanks!
    Christine

• thepepperseedman
    14 years ago

Christine I have heard that you can prune tham down to the stump and prune the roots a lot if it is cold in the area in the winter, and plant it again when it gets warm again. or if you live in a warm place than you could just leave tham outside, but if you have room in your hause and a fluorescent light than you can put them in there and depending on the type of pepper than they could produce peppers for you all winter long.
    Avery

• trfanatic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I keep them under fluourescent lights. Here is a recent pic outside. The one on the left is 3 feet tall.

{{gwi:1170812}}

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus