Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
building hoophouse/greenhouse-spring 2012

Posted by t-bob west wa (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 14:38

Hi folks, i was asked the other night at a party my step by step way I built my hoop/green house and so i uploaded the film from last year as i built it....not the whole process, but enough to see how to build the skeleton at least. For the covering i used a product that is double layer of visqueen with nylon string criss crossed in between the layers, I got it at a lumber yard and is used in building construction for what i am not sure. It is strong stuff and does not easily rip like just plain visqueen will. The thing that will take this from being a floppys moppsy structure to a rigid grow house are the two down guy boards that are added, and of course the T-post make it strong for the first 4+ feet. This is 12 x 20 feet and 7 feet or so tall. If i did it again, i would make it with a hoop every 5 feet. The other thing is where I live we only get snow every year or so, if you are in a snow area, you might want to add even more hoops or a larger diameter.....I used only 1/2" pipe because that is what i had on hand. If anyone has any questions then feel free to contact me. It sure is nice to have a steady structure i can stand up in, wind doesn't take it down, and I can have me a chair in there for nasty days. OK, enjoy and i hope you like---Texas Bob

http://youtu.be/5j6n1wKMBSE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: building hoophouse/greenhouse-spring 2012

Thanks for posting this T-B.

Lots of good info.

Rick

o
RE: building hoophouse/greenhouse-spring 2012

• Posted by t-bob west wa (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 14:08

OK, here is the deal----the double visqueen with line in between
the layers IS NOT the stuff to use. Last year
my peps did not get bushy, but I thought I should give it
another year to see. This year, once again my peps seem
Leggy to me...this winter I am going to rebuild and use
actual Greenhouse plastic that has UV protection. Four
year guaranteed....$100 for a 20 x 20 piece, but she says
most last 6 or more years.

Wow, looking up this old post I saw my Greenhouse movie, It made me think how things certainly change. The garden has definitely grown this year, and this winter/spring it will be getting even better with that wonderful pile of dark top soil to build more and more beds. cha ching. Here is what it looks like today-----peace to all and have fun HARVESTING--Bob

garden, sept. 4'th 2013 photo DSCN5191_zpsab5a235e.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here