Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chocolate Habs ripening -- Thanks Ottawapepper!

Posted by johnpo 6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 14:57

The many weeks of waiting for my little pods to start changing from green to brown is over! They say good things come to those who wait, and I can't think of a better example of this being true than habaneros!

A special thanks to Ottawapepper for donating the seeds to me (in 2009!!). After a long hiatus from growing stuff, I planted one chocolate hab seed this year. It sprouted and took off -- a100% germination rate! :)

Needless to say it's very exciting to watch the pods changing. My mouth is already watering.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chocolate Habs ripening -- Thanks Ottawapepper!

• Posted by jutsFL 9b (Orlando) (My Page) on
    Sat, May 24, 14 at 16:44

Looks good... These are in next years plan for me.

Jay

o

Nice healthy looking plant!

Well done :-)

Stoney

o

LOL johnpo,

You threw me with the title of your post... I was scratching my head thinking when was the last time I shared Chocolate Hab seeds??? 2009 eh, I didn't keep good records back then.

Nice to hear you had 100% germination starting one seed ;-)

The plant / pod look great. Let us know how it tastes.

Bill

ps. Thanks for the shout out, much appreciated.

o

I have one coming up too and I am so excited.

o

O, Man. Everybody seems to be growing Choc Hab but me .:-)
Maybe next year I will grow one. But let us know how does it taste (other than just heat)

o

I have some Jamacian chocolates gowing but no flowers yet. I like the taste.

o

Very nice pod/plant! I have two that turned today very excited as well.

o

I ate the first dozen pods to come off the plant... They were absolutely stunning. So much flavor compared to the store-bought orangies that are everywhere. Bright and crisp flavor, and the peppers have much thicker walls.

Here's a link to a time-lapse movie of one of the pods ripening. The middle 40 seconds is the part where the pod is full size but stays green seemingly for ever (it took about 3 weeks, maybe even closer to 4 for that 40 seconds to elapse).

Here is a link that might be useful: Pod ripening - time lapse

o

cool time lapse johnpo!

o

That is a cool video! Totally answers the question about color transitions of the ripening chocolate varieties (well, habs anyway).

How much sun was the pod getting?

Dennis

o

As for sunlight, the plant has been getting... (glurnk! Should I admit this??)... purely fluorescent lighting from an Aerogarden! I can't recommend the Aerogarden after all the trouble I've had with it, but I have to admit I'm very surprised at how well the pepper plant has done. All the other plants in it are dead, but the pepper plant has extended as much over the top of the light hood as there is space between the hood and the base, which is considerable.

As with all the peppers I've grown indoors, I have to hand-pollinate to get any pods, and the success rate is tear-jerkingly low, but indoor growing is my only option.

o

Nice pics Johnpo. Cool video too.

Kevin

o

Awesome time lapse!

o

Amazing plant for an all-fluorescent setup!

It seems to have to side effect of letting you do good time-lapse, since the light isn't variable.

How did that pod taste? (yumm!)

Dennis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here