Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's happening to my Chocolate Beauty?

Posted by Tenmaru Oklahoma (My Page) on
Sat, May 18, 13 at 14:58

Hello,

First off, I apologize if I should not have cross-posted (I have a thread in the pests and diseases section). I also know this is the "hot pepper" forum, but I feel this is alright.

I bought a chocolate beauty variety from an organic place here that is pretty able at growing things. It was already hardened off.

I planted my chocolate beauty one week ago, and it has a few issues that I just don't know what it could be.

A few of details: 1) it's in a container in which I accidentally had miracle gro in-ground soil (yesterday I switched to a mix of potting mix, peat, perlite, mixed into the in-ground to loosen it). 2)I sprinkled a small amount of bone and blood meal on the surface of the soil a couple of days post planting. 3) I found some aphids on one leaf after I noticed the problems, but not very many. I removed them. 4) I removed some really nasty looking leaves in the first pic, but the leaves are kind of deforming still.

I can't really find any pests and I'm not really sure what to make of what's happening. I really can't tell if this is blight--it doesn't quite look like it. I don't really see how a few aphids could do this, nor organic fertilizer.

Would a tight root ball have cause this? As a newbie, I was worried about tugging at the ball from the container I bought it in. When I replanted last night though, I tugged some roots out and ripped it a bit to encourage new, far-reaching growth.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's happening to my Chocolate Beauty?

Here it is today. I removed the bad leaves Weds or Thurs but you can tell the others are still deformed.

o

How old is it? Do you fertilize?

You mixed sapwood in with the soil - I don't see any pine bark at all. Sapwood isn't good. As it decomposes it draws up much of the available nitrogen. Pine bark doesn't (or not nearly as much).

o

Thanks for the reply, DMForcier.

1) I'm not sure how old it is, I bought it from a nursery and there weren't any dates.
2) I had sprinkled a very small amount of bone and blood meal on the top of the soil the second or third day after planting it in my container.
3) I used Miracle Gro In-ground--does that have sapwood? I then remixed with some organic potting soil and a bit of peat moss. Do you think it's a nitrogen deficiency then?

o

It looks like you are growing it in a bag sitting directly on the earth. If so, the heavier soils should not be much of an issue, as it is basically a raised bed now, not a container and the wicking effect of the ground will eliminate or drastically reduce any perched water table in the "container".

I think possibly over watering could be your problem. Don't Water them again until a good inch or two down is dry... Stick your finger in the soil to about the second knuckle, if it comes out clean, water.

o
One more thought

Don't remove any more "bad" leaves. The deformities are most likely due to nutrient uptake issues, probably due to over watering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here