Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do these babies look like jalapenos?

Posted by kathy9norcal CA 9 (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 15:00

I am a pepper newbie who is growing jalapenos (and a Shishito) in containers.
I originally wanted large jalapenos as I am addicted to stuffed jalapenos. I remembered seeing Mucho Nacho in the stores last year but I couldn't find them anywhere this spring. So I figured I'd buy a few regular generic jalapenos. Subsequently, I found some Jalapeno Gigantes and bought two, and then found Much Nacho and planted 3.

Long story short, these babies are on my original regular jalapeno plants but I am surprised they are so round. Do you think they are really jalapenos? They are very slow growing. I am posting foliage too. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do these babies look like jalapenos?

I would guess hot cherry pepper. It happens sometimes when you pick up from a store, customers pick them up look and place them in the wrong area, or they just are plain mislabeled.

o

I second what habjolokia says; looks like a cherry pepper.

They could be a hot or a sweet version. You wont know for sure until they ripen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry pepper

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Thu, May 8, 14 at 16:30

o

Yup, looks like mislabeled plants.
Let us know if they are hot.
I grew something that was not as described and they turned out to be sweet even though they looked very hot.

Stoney

o

Or worse yet Mark, the customer (even though there is a big sign, right in front of them, with more info than what is on the stake) takes the stake out of the pot to read it then puts it back into another pot... Excuse me, but I'm still frustrated over the herb fairs, I can't tell you how many pots I bring back with 2 stakes in them... and nope, they aren't the same variety.

I agree with the guys, looks like a cherry, either hot or sweet. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will be a chocolate cherry... ;-)

Pam

o

Thanks, folks! Now I am excited. I have too many jalapenos right now anyway--how many stuffed jalapenos can two people eat? (Lots!, I know.) I am really hoping they are hot cherries. Ooh, chocolate cherry peppers? If not, I am going to look for them next year!

o

Those cherry bums can make good pickles.

o

• Posted by jutsFL 9b (Orlando) (My Page) on
    Thu, May 8, 14 at 19:49

Glad you're happy with the surprise, bc (as stated) they are definitely not jalapeños. They are, however, looking like some mighty fine plants!

...good growin indeed.

Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here