Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19774863

Black Cuban seed from ottawapepper

User
11 years ago

Hi,

With the exception of Bruce, I didn't keep track of / don't remember who I sent Black Cuban seeds to.

Based on my growing out ten, I need to warn folks some may not grow true. Based on my limited starts, 20%, two of my ten starts are looking the same as my NuMex Twilight plants, green leafs and no sign of purple/black variegation. At first when they were a few weeks old I thought it was just the light coloured leaves I've seen some Cuban starts had exhibited in the past and usually corrects itself after the plants grow out further.

Best I can figure, one of two things happened:

1) I somehow mixed some Twilight seeds in with my Black Cuban seed (highly unlikely); or

2) I screwed up and didn't adequately isolate the Cuban mother plant from a close by Twilight and collected seed from pods that had crossed? The more probable cause.

Anyhow, my apologies to anyone who grew the seed out and didn't get 100% pure seed.

I'm growing my plants out to see if any mutations happen if any. Worse case scenario is I get another Twilight which is a nice plant in it's own right.

I'd be interested to hear back from anyone growing out the seeds I sent.

Bill

Comments (14)

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

haha, I started 2,one is black one is green. I also assumed the green one was just a slow starter, they still aren't big enough for me to tell for a fact it's going to stay green... Doesn't matter, I appreciate the seeds and I'm happy with Black Cuban, Twilight, or some really interesting hybrid. I'll be happy to give you updates and photos as the season progresses.

No need for apologies.
    Pam

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Pam!

Here's a shot of one of my Cuban cross?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Ottawa: Here is what I got out of the two Twilights and two Black Cubans that I ended up with. Unfortunately, I had just pruned all the blooms, buds and pods from my plants.

This is the first Black Cuban:

Unfortunately, I had just snipped the bloom off this guy but I propped it back on the plant so you can see what the bloom looked like.

Here is a pic showing the height:

Here is the second plant I have labeled as a Black Cuban but it has the greener foliage and is significantly taller like the Twilights.

This shows one of the pods I snipped from this plant earlier today.

Here is the height which is taller than the dark colored BC:

I will post photos of my two Twilights in another post following this one.

Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

OK, here are my plants I have labeled as Twilight.

Here is the height on this one.

Here is the second Twilight Plant:

Here are some of the pods that I had snipped from this plant:

And the height of the last Twilight:

Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Ottawa:
    It looks to me that the second BC is a cross. It has the greener leaves but still some dark coloring too. It is taller like the TL's but not as tall as the TL's. Then it has the dark colored pod. Seems about half way between both. I gave away another TL and BC. The BC looked normal like the first one above and the TL was like the ones pictured but a bit smaller.

Bruce

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bruce,

Your first Black Cuban (BC) looks to be growing true. The second BC looks wrong for a BC.

Your Twilight's look like they're growing true.

Thanks for posting the update much appreciated!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Ottawa:
    I just realized that yesterday, I had taken a photo of the second "hybrid" BC which shows the blooms and pods nicely.

Bruce

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple flower and purple/black Twilight shaped pod! Nice!

Twilight's put out white flowers and medium purple pods, Cubans put out purple flowers and dark purple/black pods firt. Interesting can't wait for my first buds to flower.

Thanks Bruce.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Yah, I think you are correct that the first cuban is true, the second is a hybrid and the last two are true Twilights.
    Bruce

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

Ottawa....I understand that you don't want to mislead people, but when seeds are donated, I think it should be understood that you have no right to complain. :) You have to be one of the nicest people I have ever had contact with. I (along with MANY others) appreciate the seeds you donated. I know you would not intentionally mis-lead me, so I would understand if something did not grow true. I truly appreciate all you do. Seed donations, wisdom offered, and guidance to idiot newbies such as myself. Thankyou, and please do not lose any sleep over a good dead, such as donating seeds! :)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Yah, I understand the problem as well as anyone. Most who ask for seed for free should assume there is a chance they may not get what they expect. I certainly dont regret the seeds you sent me Ottawa even though they may not all be growing true. They are still cool.

I am growing Sweet Bananas and a couple other varieties for planned use this year. THose I purchased from retail outlets and expect advertised results. I am sure if had asked, dozens of people on this list would have offered me tons of seeds as they are very common varieties.

The seeds Ottawa send me were ornamentals and so far, even if not growing true are showing some great signs of being quite "ornamental".

Bruce

• thismembername
    11 years ago

Hey
    im a little late on this thread but can ya'll confirm what measures you will be taking this year (after having the possible crosses from last year) to attempt to prevent crossing this go round?

I'm familiar with separation by distance and bagging blooms. I was just curious as to what method you all use and find best in your situation.

I'm personally considering using the bagging method (tulle), and will bag a few branches on a few plants to attempt to obtain some pure seeds.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

If I want to isolate peppers, I will use the bag method. Isolation is not really workable unless I give a single plant to someone else that lives a significant distance away to grow out. Most people will say you need anywhere from a 1/4 mile to a full mile to separate plants to ensure isolation. I think that if you have a big enough yard and can get some kind of barrier between plants such as the house, then in my opinion, 100 feet or so would be enough to ensure a reasonable expectation of purity. Crossed pollinated peppers will not matter for that current growing season. Cross pollinated flowers will always grow true to their host plant. It is the seed from a crossed pod that may exhibit traits from either/both parent plants when grown out.
    But for me, bagging is my preferred method for ensuring purity.
    Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

OH, and in reference to Ottowa's Black Cuban cross seeds. He did send me some last year. I grew out three plants and two grew true to the Black Cuban but one did not grow true. So he did likely have crossed seed. That being said, they were all three great plants. And I recently sent out a bunch of Black Cuban seed from one of the plants I grew. It was true to Black Cuban but if it came from seed that had been crossed, it still could have been a cross and grown true. But from what I understand, any offspring from that plant could also exhibit mixed traits still. So that being said, for those I sent Black Cuban and have yet to send, keep in mind there is a better than small chance it is a cross. I did not isolate any seed last year and any seed I sent out and will send out could be a cross. My packs of seed are clearly marked "OP" or "Isolated" depending on how they are grown. Even the pretty Twilight was open pollinated.
    Bruce

Sponsored