Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
romy6

romy6 pepper update

romy6
10 years ago

Plants are doing really well. Still fighting the aphids/ slash black ants but when am I not.

Not yellow brain ( cross of sorts)

yellow cardi scorps

one branch of my monster brainstrain

Yellow primo 7

Flower power

And my first carolina reaper pod

Comments (51)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Nice pepper trees they all look Awesome! Look forward on your opinion on the reaper. You always have good pics to post.

Mark

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Uhh... romy, do you live in Jamaica? That would explain a lot.

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Geez....what it must be like to have a year around growing season! Can you feel jealousy through a monitor? Beautiful plants!

Tim

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

Beautiful plants..... Drooling here. Gotta be Steroids :)

Bill

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Definitely something is being done right there. Great looking plants. I just got mine out for the summer two days ago.
    Bruce

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

As always...incredible! I hope we're all following your video updates, which really show the height, variety, and sheer number of plants in your garden! I can only dream of such productivity!

Josh

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

WOW! Gorgeous plants... heck, I've been fighting aphids all winter and mine sure don't look that good!
    Pam

• tsheets
    10 years ago

Lookin' good! That monster brain looks awesome! The bright yellowish green pods really stand out against the dark green leaves.

• peppermeister1
    10 years ago

Impressive as always Romy, great to see the reaper is already bearing fruit! Those massive branches filled with pods are quite envy inducing.
    Looking forward to more updates.

Here is a link that might be useful: PEPPERMEISTER!

• Phildeez
    10 years ago

Always blows me away when I look at your updates. So many pods so early in the season, I guess part of that is your climate but still impressive. I hope to get some superhots before fall >.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Very nice Romy.

Kevin

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Everything so beautiful, photography, the pods, the plants and the demonstration of the pod. Thank you Romy, for giving us the opportunity to see your nice work.

How old are those plants and what medium you use? How many gallon container you use for that monster brain strain? It would be very nice of you if you allow me to know.

Caelian

• romy6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the compliments. I am very fortunate to live in Florida and be able to grow year around. I think the big thing I have done different this year is really stay up on spraying for insects with bonide 218 citrus fruit spray. I use a compost soil with lots of pine bark, top soil , manure, mykos, and ammend with a 10,10,10 granular ,bllod and bone meal. I have my monster brain in a 7 gal. Many are in 3 and 5 gallon nursury pots. Most of my largest plant are two year old give or take.

@peppermeister, I have't forgotten ya. Not sure how many pods I will be able to send ya but will make sure to keep my promise. Mother Narture allowing.

Few more pics.
    let the harvest begin

Nice Reaper pod

Chocolate hab is full of pods

Bhut Hybrid

Thanks for stopping bye:)

This post was edited by romy6 on Wed, May 22, 13 at 11:18

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

Jamie - As always GREAT pics. I love the Carolina Reaper pic and at the same time it's a bit scary.... You'll have to let me know if it holds up to the hipe once you harvest and enjoy it!!!

Keep the pics and videos coming....

Sandy

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Great pics Jamie, nice first harvest, wish I was at that point in the season. Still failing at convincing my Wife to move to FL lol, I can dream though. Maybe a compromise and I get a green house instead.

Nice pepper trees, as mentioned above a reaper review please. Are you growing any off the wall crazy variety this year? Have you tried to grow wilds besides tepin?

Mark

• romy6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Sandy. I am a bit scared to eat it as well but I will give it a go. I will report back the misery I endure:)

Mark. akways a pleasure to here from you. PLenty of cheap houses for sale in my neighborhood and I could use another chilihead to help out with eating all these supers:) I have a few other nice varieties like the orange primo, peruvian serlano, sepia serpeant( a cross from a douglah and choc scorp I think), a naga x brain, purple bhut X viper, and yellow jonah. Never been a big fan of wilds . They are pretty to look at but produce such small pods. I do love my tepin though and have tried the Florida wild many time with no luck and will most likley try some more wilds in the near future.

• romy6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Few more pics. Strarting to harvest my bounty.

Douglah

Fat 7 pod jonah

Choc habs

yellow primo

Harvest one on Saturday

One on Monday.

And another carolina reaper pod

and the Monster Brain Strain

• jifjifjif
    10 years ago

My Lord! Looking awesome, bro!

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Jamie, Awesome pepper trees and nice pod harvest. You going to dry and grind all that into powder? I would be making hot sauce and powder all day if I were in your neck of the woods. I like the beer caps for size reference.

Mark

10 years ago

Nice pics romy. Too bad I couldn't overwinter successfully -- maybe i would have some pics also.

Kevin

• tsheets
    10 years ago

Wow! Nice harvest, Jamie! So much color!

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Well done, everything is bright and beauty. thank you for sharing with us.
    Caelian

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

Jamie - The harvest pics are wonderful. Let us know what that great harvest has been turned into and if you braved it yet on that taste test! I'd love to have a harvest like that - again, great job on the peppers.
    Sandy

• romy6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@jifjif Thank you sir.

@Mark Most of the peppers I am sending to friends nad family. The rest will be made into powder and a few sauces. Really want to give the fermeniting peppers a go. Thank you .

@Kevin Seeing where you live I think you could get away with overwintering a few. But we have not had a freeze in over two years here:)

@Tim Nice to see you buddy. How is that Brainstrain doing. Should be geeting huge like it's momma:)

@Caelian Thank you for the kind words and thank you for stopping bye.

@Sandy I have yet to take the yellow primo challenge but this weekend I will. Most of the pods I will make into powder and might make a fermented sauce . No gurantees though LOL. Thank you

• romy6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess I should throw a few more pics in.

This is one of my younger plants. It is a Peruvian Serlano from the chinense family. It is a fast grower with deep green leaves.

Reaper plant ready to pot up to a 7 gal

Not yellow Brain

Douglah

And this mornings harvest

Thanks for stopping bye

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Arrgghh!!

[gnashing of teeths]

• tsheets
    10 years ago

Looks like you're working on a Douglah tree, there!

The brainstrains are hanging in there and looking healthy. I've had a couple blooms open, but, not many yet.

Our weather turned to absolute crap! They're talking record rainfall for the month. So, everybody has slowed way down.

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

My thoughts too, quite a Douglah tree you're growing - quite impressive. Keep up the great pepper growing and looking forward to additional pics throughout the season!

• romy6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys for the support.
    Some of you were curious about my yellow 7 pod primo. Well this weekend I finally tried one. I was thinking this might be the first yellow pepper to get me good. Thank goodness I was wrong. It is a very tasty pepper with medium heat. I would say in the 300,000 scovillel level
    like a hot red hab. Very thin walls and low seed count. Has a floral 7 ish aroma with no bitter or earthy aftertaste. Very clean like a regular 7 pod yellow.

Sliced up with onions an=d galic and some oilive oil. It was very tasty.

And my biggest harvest ever

Have a spicy day

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Nice spicy dish! Box those up and ship em out to me please. What an Awesome harvest. That's a whole lotta peppers!!!!

Mark

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Everything is so perfect.
    Your recipe is a perfect vegetarian dish, it makes me hungry, I will try that recipe when my plants yield fruits.

Thank you for the updates.

Caelian

• jifjifjif
    10 years ago

I can't wait to have a bunch of my current plants become overwinters so next year, I have yields like that! Awesome, brother!

• tsheets
    10 years ago

Holy crap that's a lot of peppers!!

• romy6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys for the kind words. It has been spring to remember:)

So a few of you were wondering what i do with all my peppers. Well the other day I decided to make my first fermented sauce. I used about 30 superhot pepper, drained the iiuce from an 8oz tub of yogurt to get the whey , two tableppoons of salt, 10 percent carrots, 8 percent onion, and about 2 percent garlic. Blended and put in jar in dark place. Now a 45 day ferment should get the ph around 3.5.

The douglah

Reaper

Madballz 7 pot yellow X choc bhut

And Tim and Bill here is the 7 pot jonah from u guys

10 years ago

That mash and those plants look fantastic!

Josh

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Once again your plants amaze me. I hope you try one of those 7 pots soon. I think you got a dud last time. I know it felt like liquid lava when I ate it last year.

Tim

• romy6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Josh and Tim. I will try another Jonah soon. Just lots on the plate . My next pepper is the reaper which is fully ripe and teasing me .

Here is a pepper that looks very much like the reaper . This is a orange primo. Or at least we hope it turns orange.

Here is a hybrid not yellow brain gone annuum. Pods look like a cross between a serrano and cayenne? 1 and 1/2 your old ingrounder.

And another harvest from a few days ago

10 years ago

Wow, what're you doin' with these?!

Josh

• tsheets
    10 years ago

So, you measure your harvest by the pound, yes? ;-)

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

Jamie - All I can say is 'VERY NICE' and I'm so jealous. In my height of harvesting (not til mid August here in MN) I can't imagine getting anything near what you've already harvested.

I like the hot sauce recipe too. I'm going to have to try it. Please continue to share your pepper pics and recipes.

Sandy

• romy6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ Josh , Mainly sauce,powder, give and sell. Thank you

@ Tim, well never before but this year yes.

@ Sandy, Glad you are enjoying my updates. Thank you.

So folks I have tried the Caroliona Reaper and here are my thoughts. It is a very hot and tasty pepper. I do not recommend eating it fresh but for powders and sauces it is great. It has a very floral smell . Looks like a typical 7 pod primo or brainstrain. This pod did not have a ton of placenta but still had lots of oils. Ate a nice size piece and the burn lasted a good 10 minutes before it started to ease up.Mainley mouth and tounge not much back of throat burn. Not the hottest pepper I have ever had but then it again it is not mid summer. When the temps go above 90 my plants seem to produce more capsaicin. Very nice pepper though. Plenty hot but not sure about the hottest on the planet.

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Very nice professional work. Thanks for sharing.
    Caelian

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

how old is that brain strain tree? that thing is epic. I wanna save it to my phone to show my 7pot what he's supposed to look like.

and here I was excited that the bottom 8" of my biggest thai is turning woody, and here you've got freaking trees!

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

That surprising that this pepper did not have a ton of placenta as that's the part that would contain the most heat. Even the Bhut has more. I would still want to grow it anyways, it's a cool looking pod.

Can you give us another shot of an open pod once you have summer fruit maybe it will have different results.

Here is a pic from a 7pot cross that was extremely hot, I bet this would give the reaper a run for its money lol! In my opinion this 7pot was hotter than the Bhuts I grow.

Mark

Mark

• romy6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@chiliwin, Thank you very much. Very kind of you .

@ Judo_and_peppers. Sorry for the late reply. The Brainstrain is about 2 years old. He has produced 100's of peppers. Thank you

@ Mark, That is a nice pic of a 7 pod. I can smell the strong chinese aroma from here. I will make sure to get a pic of the insides of some of the gnarlier looking peppers on the reaper. It was the the first pod on the plant.

Here is the latest pod ripening:)

A nasty SBJ7 ( scotch bonnetX 7 pod jonah)

Spikey Butch T

This 7 pod brown is hotter than my reaper

brainstrain plant 1

brainstrain plant 2 more morouga shaped

And the infamous madballz's choc bhut X yellow 7

Have a great 4th chili friends

10 years ago

Romy6:

Great pics and pods! Pretty gnarly shapes.

Question: 2nd pic from bottom-- I notice a lack of foliage. Is this by design? Meaning, do you clip leaves so the plant puts energy into pod production? Did you have some leaf loss on that particular plant? Or what?

Just wanting to learn more from, who I consider, an EXPERT on superhots.

Thanks

Kevin

10 years ago

Gnarly, pods indeed!
    Jaime, your pods are picture perfect :-D

Josh

• romy6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ Kevin. I never pic any leaves from my plants. My madballz plants just seem to grow like that. More foliage the better. I will work on that:)

@ Josh Thank you sir. I aim to please. Since I am here I thought I would post my harvest from last night

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Good Lord Jamie....I can't even read and comment before you have another harvest. I am hereby crowning you "King of Peppers". I only hope to some day achieve half of your Chile-headedness.

Tim

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

Hey Jamie,

Thought I'd check in with you to see how the summer's been for you and your peppers. Haven't heard from you in a while.

Sandy

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES