Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
romy6 pepper update

Posted by romy6 9 (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 15:07

Plants are doing really well. Still fighting the aphids/ slash black ants but when am I not.

Not yellow brain ( cross of sorts)

photo image_zps4a208d4b.jpg

yellow cardi scorps

photo image_zps79863526.jpg

one branch of my monster brainstrain

photo photo_zps0a6adc18.jpg

Yellow primo 7

photo photo_zps07544d74.jpg

Flower power

photo photo_zpsd9871d0b.jpg

And my first carolina reaper pod

photo image_zps52f3a0c8.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: romy6 pepper update

Awesome! So many pods....

o

Nice pepper trees they all look Awesome! Look forward on your opinion on the reaper. You always have good pics to post.

Mark

o

Uhh... romy, do you live in Jamaica? That would explain a lot.

o

Geez....what it must be like to have a year around growing season! Can you feel jealousy through a monitor? Beautiful plants!

Tim

o

Beautiful plants..... Drooling here. Gotta be Steroids :)

Bill

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Thu, May 16, 13 at 19:51

Definitely something is being done right there. Great looking plants. I just got mine out for the summer two days ago.
Bruce

o

As always...incredible! I hope we're all following your video updates, which really show the height, variety, and sheer number of plants in your garden! I can only dream of such productivity!

Josh

o

WOW! Gorgeous plants... heck, I've been fighting aphids all winter and mine sure don't look that good!
Pam

o

Lookin' good! That monster brain looks awesome! The bright yellowish green pods really stand out against the dark green leaves.

o

Impressive as always Romy, great to see the reaper is already bearing fruit! Those massive branches filled with pods are quite envy inducing.
Looking forward to more updates.

Here is a link that might be useful: PEPPERMEISTER!

o

Always blows me away when I look at your updates. So many pods so early in the season, I guess part of that is your climate but still impressive. I hope to get some superhots before fall >.<

o

Very nice Romy.

Kevin

o

Everything so beautiful, photography, the pods, the plants and the demonstration of the pod. Thank you Romy, for giving us the opportunity to see your nice work.

How old are those plants and what medium you use? How many gallon container you use for that monster brain strain? It would be very nice of you if you allow me to know.

Caelian

o

Thank you all for the compliments. I am very fortunate to live in Florida and be able to grow year around. I think the big thing I have done different this year is really stay up on spraying for insects with bonide 218 citrus fruit spray. I use a compost soil with lots of pine bark, top soil , manure, mykos, and ammend with a 10,10,10 granular ,bllod and bone meal. I have my monster brain in a 7 gal. Many are in 3 and 5 gallon nursury pots. Most of my largest plant are two year old give or take.

@peppermeister, I have't forgotten ya. Not sure how many pods I will be able to send ya but will make sure to keep my promise. Mother Narture allowing.

Few more pics.
let the harvest begin

photo photo_zps2b4311dc.jpg

Nice Reaper pod

photo IMG_4623_zps912d74e0.jpg

Chocolate hab is full of pods
 photo IMG_4626_zpsb67cc6e0.jpg

Bhut Hybrid

photo IMG_4633_zps1fa1423a.jpg

Thanks for stopping bye:)

photo photo_zpsbd2ef463.jpg

This post was edited by romy6 on Wed, May 22, 13 at 11:18

o

Jamie - As always GREAT pics. I love the Carolina Reaper pic and at the same time it's a bit scary.... You'll have to let me know if it holds up to the hipe once you harvest and enjoy it!!!

Keep the pics and videos coming....

Sandy

o

Great pics Jamie, nice first harvest, wish I was at that point in the season. Still failing at convincing my Wife to move to FL lol, I can dream though. Maybe a compromise and I get a green house instead.

Nice pepper trees, as mentioned above a reaper review please. Are you growing any off the wall crazy variety this year? Have you tried to grow wilds besides tepin?

Mark

o

Thank you Sandy. I am a bit scared to eat it as well but I will give it a go. I will report back the misery I endure:)

Mark. akways a pleasure to here from you. PLenty of cheap houses for sale in my neighborhood and I could use another chilihead to help out with eating all these supers:) I have a few other nice varieties like the orange primo, peruvian serlano, sepia serpeant( a cross from a douglah and choc scorp I think), a naga x brain, purple bhut X viper, and yellow jonah. Never been a big fan of wilds . They are pretty to look at but produce such small pods. I do love my tepin though and have tried the Florida wild many time with no luck and will most likley try some more wilds in the near future.

o

Few more pics. Strarting to harvest my bounty.

Douglah

photo IMG_4671_zps3068432c.jpg

Fat 7 pod jonah

photo IMG_4664_zpsd2ff6d7e.jpg

Choc habs

photo IMG_4667_zpsc781c339.jpg

yellow primo
 photo IMG_4663_zps6c7aed50.jpg

Harvest one on Saturday

photo photo_zps0f1e3c6d.jpg

One on Monday.

photo IMG_4689_zps4b3cc004.jpg

And another carolina reaper pod

photo IMG_4670_zps67cc416d.jpg

and the Monster Brain Strain

photo IMG_4681_zps9d7107fe.jpg

o

My Lord! Looking awesome, bro!

o

Jamie, Awesome pepper trees and nice pod harvest. You going to dry and grind all that into powder? I would be making hot sauce and powder all day if I were in your neck of the woods. I like the beer caps for size reference.

Mark

o

Nice pics romy. Too bad I couldn't overwinter successfully -- maybe i would have some pics also.

Kevin

o

Wow! Nice harvest, Jamie! So much color!

o

Well done, everything is bright and beauty. thank you for sharing with us.
Caelian

o

Jamie - The harvest pics are wonderful. Let us know what that great harvest has been turned into and if you braved it yet on that taste test! I'd love to have a harvest like that - again, great job on the peppers.
Sandy

o

@jifjif Thank you sir.

@Mark Most of the peppers I am sending to friends nad family. The rest will be made into powder and a few sauces. Really want to give the fermeniting peppers a go. Thank you .

@Kevin Seeing where you live I think you could get away with overwintering a few. But we have not had a freeze in over two years here:)

@Tim Nice to see you buddy. How is that Brainstrain doing. Should be geeting huge like it's momma:)

@Caelian Thank you for the kind words and thank you for stopping bye.

@Sandy I have yet to take the yellow primo challenge but this weekend I will. Most of the pods I will make into powder and might make a fermented sauce . No gurantees though LOL. Thank you

o
RE: romy6 pepper update 6

I guess I should throw a few more pics in.

This is one of my younger plants. It is a Peruvian Serlano from the chinense family. It is a fast grower with deep green leaves.

photo photo_zps918f128f.jpg

Reaper plant ready to pot up to a 7 gal

photo photo_zps58a66534.jpg

Not yellow Brain

photo photo_zps0565ab33.jpg

Douglah

photo photo_zps8d7126d7.jpg

And this mornings harvest

photo photo_zpsfbafc182.jpg

Thanks for stopping bye

o

Arrgghh!!

[gnashing of teeths]

o

Looks like you're working on a Douglah tree, there!

The brainstrains are hanging in there and looking healthy. I've had a couple blooms open, but, not many yet.

Our weather turned to absolute crap! They're talking record rainfall for the month. So, everybody has slowed way down.

o

My thoughts too, quite a Douglah tree you're growing - quite impressive. Keep up the great pepper growing and looking forward to additional pics throughout the season!

o

Thanks guys for the support.
Some of you were curious about my yellow 7 pod primo. Well this weekend I finally tried one. I was thinking this might be the first yellow pepper to get me good. Thank goodness I was wrong. It is a very tasty pepper with medium heat. I would say in the 300,000 scovillel level
like a hot red hab. Very thin walls and low seed count. Has a floral 7 ish aroma with no bitter or earthy aftertaste. Very clean like a regular 7 pod yellow.

photo IMG_4692_zps0321c76d.jpg

photo IMG_4697_zps23a7304c.jpg

Sliced up with onions an=d galic and some oilive oil. It was very tasty.

photo IMG_4698_zps5d151b05.jpg

And my biggest harvest ever

photo photo_zps15df7edc.jpg

Have a spicy day

photo photo_zps8a0528dc.jpg

o

Nice spicy dish! Box those up and ship em out to me please. What an Awesome harvest. That's a whole lotta peppers!!!!

Mark

o

Everything is so perfect.
Your recipe is a perfect vegetarian dish, it makes me hungry, I will try that recipe when my plants yield fruits.

Thank you for the updates.

Caelian

o

I can't wait to have a bunch of my current plants become overwinters so next year, I have yields like that! Awesome, brother!

o

Holy crap that's a lot of peppers!!

o

Thanks guys for the kind words. It has been spring to remember:)

So a few of you were wondering what i do with all my peppers. Well the other day I decided to make my first fermented sauce. I used about 30 superhot pepper, drained the iiuce from an 8oz tub of yogurt to get the whey , two tableppoons of salt, 10 percent carrots, 8 percent onion, and about 2 percent garlic. Blended and put in jar in dark place. Now a 45 day ferment should get the ph around 3.5.

photo photo_zpsfc415dca.jpg

photo photo_zps3fe74373.jpg

photo photo_zpse0f85091.jpg

The douglah
 photo photo_zpsce9c3064.jpg

Reaper
 photo IMG_4717_zpsb5caf507.jpg

Madballz 7 pot yellow X choc bhut

photo IMG_4708_zps02a4303c.jpg

And Tim and Bill here is the 7 pot jonah from u guys

photo IMG_4715_zps2ab62352.jpg

o

That mash and those plants look fantastic!

Josh

o

Once again your plants amaze me. I hope you try one of those 7 pots soon. I think you got a dud last time. I know it felt like liquid lava when I ate it last year.

Tim

o

Thanks Josh and Tim. I will try another Jonah soon. Just lots on the plate . My next pepper is the reaper which is fully ripe and teasing me .

photo IMG_4722_zps633abb53.jpg

Here is a pepper that looks very much like the reaper . This is a orange primo. Or at least we hope it turns orange.

photo IMG_4726_zps76f1bf57.jpg

Here is a hybrid not yellow brain gone annuum. Pods look like a cross between a serrano and cayenne? 1 and 1/2 your old ingrounder.

photo IMG_4730_zps3ded8271.jpg

And another harvest from a few days ago
 photo photo_zps1fc24628.jpg

o

Wow, what're you doin' with these?!

Josh

o

So, you measure your harvest by the pound, yes? ;-)

o

Jamie - All I can say is 'VERY NICE' and I'm so jealous. In my height of harvesting (not til mid August here in MN) I can't imagine getting anything near what you've already harvested.

I like the hot sauce recipe too. I'm going to have to try it. Please continue to share your pepper pics and recipes.

Sandy

o

@ Josh , Mainly sauce,powder, give and sell. Thank you

@ Tim, well never before but this year yes.

@ Sandy, Glad you are enjoying my updates. Thank you.

So folks I have tried the Caroliona Reaper and here are my thoughts. It is a very hot and tasty pepper. I do not recommend eating it fresh but for powders and sauces it is great. It has a very floral smell . Looks like a typical 7 pod primo or brainstrain. This pod did not have a ton of placenta but still had lots of oils. Ate a nice size piece and the burn lasted a good 10 minutes before it started to ease up.Mainley mouth and tounge not much back of throat burn. Not the hottest pepper I have ever had but then it again it is not mid summer. When the temps go above 90 my plants seem to produce more capsaicin. Very nice pepper though. Plenty hot but not sure about the hottest on the planet.

photo IMG_4752_zps6b313fff.jpg

photo IMG_4765_zpsc4c5d2ce.jpg

photo IMG_4768_zps9ef29faf.jpg

o

Very nice professional work. Thanks for sharing.
Caelian

o

how old is that brain strain tree? that thing is epic. I wanna save it to my phone to show my 7pot what he's supposed to look like.

and here I was excited that the bottom 8" of my biggest thai is turning woody, and here you've got freaking trees!

o

That surprising that this pepper did not have a ton of placenta as that's the part that would contain the most heat. Even the Bhut has more. I would still want to grow it anyways, it's a cool looking pod.

Can you give us another shot of an open pod once you have summer fruit maybe it will have different results.

Here is a pic from a 7pot cross that was extremely hot, I bet this would give the reaper a run for its money lol! In my opinion this 7pot was hotter than the Bhuts I grow.

Mark

Mark

o

@chiliwin, Thank you very much. Very kind of you .

@ Judo_and_peppers. Sorry for the late reply. The Brainstrain is about 2 years old. He has produced 100's of peppers. Thank you

@ Mark, That is a nice pic of a 7 pod. I can smell the strong chinese aroma from here. I will make sure to get a pic of the insides of some of the gnarlier looking peppers on the reaper. It was the the first pod on the plant.

Here is the latest pod ripening:)

photo IMG_4790_zpsa28a0291.jpg

A nasty SBJ7 ( scotch bonnetX 7 pod jonah)

photo IMG_4792_zps5cc88ae7.jpg

Spikey Butch T

photo IMG_4805_zpsb747e43c.jpg

This 7 pod brown is hotter than my reaper

photo IMG_4798_zpsf5840685.jpg

brainstrain plant 1

photo IMG_4802_zps83288159.jpg

brainstrain plant 2 more morouga shaped

photo IMG_4804_zps34f15858.jpg

And the infamous madballz's choc bhut X yellow 7

photo IMG_4799_zps9c668a6c.jpg

Have a great 4th chili friends

photo IMG_4801_zps2f8c5501.jpg

o

Romy6:

Great pics and pods! Pretty gnarly shapes.

Question: 2nd pic from bottom-- I notice a lack of foliage. Is this by design? Meaning, do you clip leaves so the plant puts energy into pod production? Did you have some leaf loss on that particular plant? Or what?

Just wanting to learn more from, who I consider, an EXPERT on superhots.

Thanks

Kevin

o

Gnarly, pods indeed!
Jaime, your pods are picture perfect :-D

Josh

o

@ Kevin. I never pic any leaves from my plants. My madballz plants just seem to grow like that. More foliage the better. I will work on that:)

@ Josh Thank you sir. I aim to please. Since I am here I thought I would post my harvest from last night

photo photo_zpsfb02c9e7.jpg

o

Good Lord Jamie....I can't even read and comment before you have another harvest. I am hereby crowning you "King of Peppers". I only hope to some day achieve half of your Chile-headedness.

Tim

o

Hey Jamie,

Thought I'd check in with you to see how the summer's been for you and your peppers. Haven't heard from you in a while.

Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here