Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a pepper named healthy

Posted by t-bob west wa (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 15:08

hi all, i was given a few peppers yesterday over the phone, and told where to grab them. I thought one of them was called "HEALTHY", and so after i rang off, i tried to look up on WWW, but only found health benefits of peppers....so i thought i misunderstood over the phone. Sure enough marked as "healthy" on the tag.

Does anyone know of this pepper? what are they like? thanks for any info----bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a pepper named healthy

Here ya go.

http://tinyurl.com/7vsbxk5

Also, I had to use a URL shortening service because evidently DG links are considered spam on this site. *shrug*

Here is a link that might be useful: DG Plantfiles

o

Here is what I found

Russian variety introduced to U.S. gardeners by SSE in 1993. Early maturing 24-30" plants are loaded with sweet wedged-shaped fruits, 2�" at the shoulder by 4" long, ripening from yellow to orange to red. Developed at the Institute of Vegetable Breeding and Seed Production on the west edge of Moscow. 70 days from transplant.

This company founded in 1993 I think it's the same as what is described. All my searches I came to this place when looking for this Healthy pepper. Let me know what you guys think

Here is a link that might be useful: Garvish

o

This will be my third year growing the 'Healthy' sweet pepper. Very prolific, thick walled, good sweet flavor.....

Couple sites to view at -

Peppergal - http://www.peppergal.com/sweet_peppers

Totally Tomatoes - http://www.totallytomato.com/dp.asp?pID=03162&c=35&p=Healthy+Pepper

Thanks,
Sandy

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Wed, May 9, 12 at 10:46

Interesting sweet pepper variety. Sandygardens: where do you buy your seed from?
Bruce

o

• Posted by t-bob west wa (My Page) on
    Wed, May 9, 12 at 11:00

thanks all.....sweet it is

o

sandysgardens is there anyway to to get a few these Healthy seeds from ya would love to grow a few to test them out ?

o

Bruce - I purchased my original 'Healthy' pepper seed from 'Totally Tomatoes' and since have saved my own seed to grow. I've also used other seed sites for Pepper Seeds - The Pepper Gal, Johnny's Select Seeds, T&M, Baker Creek and some trading on GW.

Armageddon - I'll have fresh seed at summers end for trading. Shoot me an email.

Sandy

o

k sandy will do that thanks much ...

o

Huh, those look a lot like the sweet peppers I find at the grocery store in the mixed bag (with red, yellow, and orange peppers). Same size and shape, very sweet taste, all around great snacking peppers.

Wonder if they're the same thing?

o

Edymnion - The mixed sweet peppers at my grocery store are noticeably smaller. The Healthy go from a pale yellow to red. They are though similar in sweetness.

I wish they'd label those at the store with what variety they are, they are good snackers.

o

I've got one seedling going from one of those peppers. No clue if it'll be true or not, but I figure nothing ventured nothing gained.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here