Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplant in stages or right into 16' pots?

Posted by dbstrat 5a Joliet IL (My Page) on
Thu, May 19, 11 at 15:43

I've got a bunch of bhuts, two of which I'm going to try to overwinter after the season so they will go into 16" containers. Question is should these babies get transplanted into successively larger containers or just right into the final pots? They are probably 5" tall with 12 - 16 true leaves...

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplant in stages or right into 16' pots?

I would move them into their final resting spot. The less transplanting the less chance of any shock.

o

Overall, I think it's best to step up progressively. Let them grow into their new home before giving them a bigger one. You will be less likely to have problems with overwatering / the lower parts of the pot staying too wet and the roots not growing into it / rotting.

That said, I have gone straight from the little 3-4" starter pots to the larger 12 - 16" pots when they are outside. Early on, there is still risk there, but, the pots will dry out so quickly in the Summer Sun / heat that I think they will do ok.

When I overwinter a plant, I prune the top way back as well as the roots and put them in much smaller pots to take up less room indoors. By bare rooting them and trimming to put in smaller pots, you bring fewer critters in too, which are always a problem with overwintering.

o

I have been going from 3" - 4" pots to 5 gallon 12"? pots for the last couple of years. My experience, initially you take a hit on above soil growth while the plant focuses on root growth. By the end of the season your plants will have a strong base and more than make up for the time establishing roots.

JMHO,

Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here