Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blackening stem on New Mexico Big Jim- HELP!

Posted by OjoVerde (My Page) on
Fri, May 13, 11 at 16:02

Hi, we're growing our first pepper plants (in containers). Our Jalepeno and Pablano look great, but our New Mexico Big Jim looks totally depressed. The leaves are light green with yellow blotches, and what worries me the most is an inch of stem at the top that turned blackish brown. Is she dying? Does anyone know of anything I can do to help her?

I got them as babies. They got too wet in the beginning and I had to emergency transplant them into soil that drains better. The roots were mostly (but not completely) still white. They perked up immediately, but the Big Jim has never looked 100%, and seems to be worsening.

DSCN0655

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sickly Big Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blackening stem on New Mexico Big Jim- HELP!

Maybe a phosphate/nitrogen deficiency. Add some bone meal and that should help. The blacking on the stem looks normal to me. Hopefully the experts will chime in with better advice. You may also want to take that lil pepper off so the plant can focus on growing larger which in turn will equate to a larger yielding plant. I usually add a couple table spoons of bone meal and work into the soil.Oh and the bone meal i use has 13% phoshorous 4% nitrogen. Usually greens them up in a week or two.

o

I sure hope it's normal! My peppers have that, most of them. The Hot Cherries are far more black in fact but look healthy otherwise.

o

Ay, caramba! Have I been freaking out over something completely normal?! AWESOME! I hope you guys are right. I'll pick up some bone meal asap. Gracias amigos!

o

We Hope!

o

Ay, caramba! Have I been freaking out over something completely normal?! AWESOME! I hope you guys are right. I'll pick up some bone meal asap. Gracias amigos!

o

That's a normal condition caused by exposure to the sun and you don't need to do anything

o

man, had me scared for a minute there. Being new to the pepper growing myself, for a second I thought there is somethign wrong with EVERY ONE of my pepper plants

o

Oh my goodness, sorry for the scare guys... my plants had such a traumatizing beginning with all the wetness, wrong soil and transplanting that I was certain they were dying. I guess I was just looking for signs of death. Thank you so much fiedlermeister. I'm ecstatic to see a stem that looks like mine with a little pepper growing beside it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here