Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdy113

cutting off ripe peppers

mdy113
9 years ago

just a general question, as my peppers are growing, when i am ready to take em off plant, do i leave an inch of stem near the fruit like i've seen people do? if so what do i do with rest of stem that is now just hanging out, will it just fall of plant on its own? do i cut that off as well?

mike

Comments (9)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

That's the beautiful part of harvesting peppers-- they tell you WHEN to harvest on most varieties -- gently tug up on the fruit and the stem should snap at the yoke where it meets the branch.

Varieties like Thai, Japones, et al that grow upright in clusters will do the same but that way usually will take off other peppers that may not be fully ripened. So, for those, I usually use a pair of small scissors and cut down as far to the yoke as possible.

Kevin

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    9 years ago

The odd part of respondong to this question is that initially (first few weeks) for all large bell peppers I use a hand shear to cut the stem fearing damage to the plant. After a few weeks I just twist and snap. I'll admit that there are a few broken plant stems and occasionally the core of the pepper might tear out before the stem is detached. But I assume you are referring to bell or large bull horn peppers because my harvest routine varies vastly depending on variety. I usually harvest a bushel of hot or sweet banana peppers in 5-7 minutes and couldn't be bothered with cutting stems on those or any small varieties. Some will snap off readily while with others you just learn how to snap the pepper against the stem to break it.

The second part of youe question logically follows that you leave the plant with a stem scar to heal and aside from looking a little odd it does not need more attention unless you are growing ornamental peppers.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

I use sharp pruners. Don't pull them off by hand..you can damage the plant.
    Cut right near the main stem.

Stoney

• ab2008
    9 years ago

Ripe peppers pull off without much effort, if you harvest green bells and whatnot and other varieties most snap off easily and if not, pruners work well. 9.9/10 times I do not use pruners, and usually only use them if I do, on stubborn bells.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

I used to pull by hand... And still could, I suppose. But I've taken down whole branches in carelessness before - so I stick with the scissors now. Kevin is correct though, if their truly ripe - they'll come right off... I just get a bit antsy at times!

Jay

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I've noticed that some peppers snap off neatly in one direction....like the Thai chiles I grow. However, if I pull the wrong direction, I usually take the tip of the branch. So I've gotten in the habit of snipping.

Josh

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

I've broken quite a few branches trying to pull them off on my thai peppers. but I find that the plant sets fruit faster if you pull the stems completely off. I've found the stems still looking quite green and alive a month after cutting off the pod, leading me to wonder if the plant thinks the pepper is still there and is wasting resources on that stem.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Well, I need some pods first :D.

Then shearers, scissors, pruners work almost identically.
    But Judo made an interesting observation : what the H.. just snap them ! (Grin)

• mdy113
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks everyone, ill just go at it when the time comes, have a bunch of different hot peppers and a bells. always figured it just look weird though taking off the pepper and leaving an empty stem just hanging there, lol. guess we will see