Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peppers failing to thrive

Posted by jport73 6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 30, 11 at 16:23

I bought these jalapeno, habanero, and banana peppers about two weeks ago from a greenhouse. I wasn't able to plant them until last weekend due to the incessant rain. They were all in peat pots planted in a topsoil/compost blend with no special amendments to the soil. I fertilized last night with fish emulsion.

They actually seem to look better in the photos than in person. Face to face they appear very yellow and pitiful.

Thanks in advance for any guidance in turning these little sickly fellers into tough guys.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peppers failing to thrive

Yes, to me they look like normal pepper plants. Lots of times plants slow growth after a transplant but yours look like they are suffering no ill effects. Give them time.

o

When I planted out my peppers in compost/ peat/vermiculte, they
turned yellowish. I also use some fish fertilizer like you did. They are
much better now. Like esox said you have to give them more time to correct
themselves.

o

Patience is a virtue growing chiles.

o

They look like they have more water than they would like, but, that's early season for you. Did you remove the peat pots or plant them like the instructions say? I always remove them. I just think they do better that way.

o

I did plant them in the peat pots. I may try without the next time, or at least score them to help them split and break down quicker.

The jalapenos and bananas are starting to perk up, the habaneros look worse. They're starting to get brown spots on the leaves.

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Yep, looks like crisis time for those poor little Habbys. Sorry, I cannot help you diagnose the problem though.

o

i would pull them out of the gound and pot them up in some fresh well draining soil and keep a close eye on them. they might be too wet. but that is just me and i am really new to gardening. but just my .02C

o

What sort of well draining soil should I put them in if I pull 'em up?

o

well, half mine are in my own concoction with bark/sunshine growers mix#4/EB stone cactus mix. 5-1-1 but other plants i have stricly in the growers mix and it drains/dries out pretty darn quick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here