Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stoneys_fatali

Sauces.

stoneys_fatali
9 years ago

I plan on making a sauce once my fatalis ripen but in the mean time, here are a few commercial ones I have.
The scorpion sauces are more flavorful than they are hot. I put it on almost everything. If you haven't tried Sontava, try it. It is one of the most delicious sauces I've ever had!

{{gwi:1172325}}
{{gwi:1172329}}

Comments (24)

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Call me crazy, but I'm a HUGE fan of plain 'ole Crystal sauce. Seriously, I can't get enough of it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy thicker sauces... But to me, the thin dousing sauces reign supreme (Tobasco alike, I put that %#*+ on everything). I make all of my personal sauces to that general consistency - and I know there will be many who disagree, just my preference is all.

...one of my favs is Melinda's XXX though, spicy but not death defying by any means - just a kick with great flavor.

Jay

• tomt226
    9 years ago

There are these huge truck-stop/gas stations called Buc-ees here in Texas that carry a line of sauces called 100% Pain. Got a pic of a guy on the label screaming. All made from habaneros. Really good flavor and spicy. IIRC, they're made in Missouri or Kansas. They've paired habs with a little mustard flavor.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

I am a particular fan of Mean Devil Woman sauce. I don't have a bottle to hand so I can't tell you what's in it, but I think tamarinds - it's dark brown and pulpy like a Pickapeppa sauce.

Dennis

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just went through a bottle of Melindas XXX Naga Jalokia sauce Jay.

It was very good!

Stoney

• scott123456
    9 years ago

I LOVE TABASCO SAUCE!!! DonâÂÂt get me wrong I like the hotter sauces more but there is something about Tabasco sauce that keeps me coming back. Ever since I started eating super hot powder on everything, All the "milder" sauces like crystal, red devil, red hot ect have lost their appeal ( no heat at all like blah tomato soup). Except for Tabasco, it can still get my nose running, granted I can go through an entire small bottle in one meal. One thing I have been doing is adding super hot powder to the milder sauces that have good flavor ( red devil) and it has turned out pretty good.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Stoney, You remind me of Judo. My limit is Habanero sauce. I make my own once a year. But even then I use a lot of red and yellow bell peppers as filler. I like both the color and flavor of it. So far Habanero is my limit. Maybe next year I will try a super with good flavor , not just for the heat. What that would be ? Brain Strain ?

• tomt226
    9 years ago

seysonn,
    If you like the hab flavor, then grow some Numex Suave or other heatless hab species and use your super-hot puree to adjust the heat level. Bitter orange or regular OJ compliments the flavor of hab too. Beats vinegar, IMHO...

• Big Kahuna
    9 years ago

I'm working my way through a bottle of Melindas Naga Jalokia sauce right now - great taste and perfect amount of heat.

• locoguy
    9 years ago

Recently i bought a hotter version of Crystal. Now i put it on everything

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

my favorite hot sauces are the "Jason's Fire Fusions" brand hot sauces.

www.jasonsfirefusions.com

;)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

I've tried a few hot sauces but prefer to make my own. I don't use any fillers strictly the peppers and vinegar, but use some onion and garlic for flavor, why hide the flavor of the pepper with fruits or bells. Unless its specially made with fruit to complement a dish like pork, beef, or fish. 10 ghost peppers per bottle :)

Mark

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

I'm envious! We have very little variety of hot sauces available here in Canada. Basically, there are two versions: sickly sweet and mild, or with a strong vinegary pong. I dislike both.

• scott123456
    9 years ago

I know Slimy I am jealous too! When I lived in Cincinnati, there was a huge international supermarket called jungle jim's. They had a fire truck in the store and had 1500 different bottles of hot sauce to choose from plus all their relishes and mustards and what not. Now I am stuck with whatever is at the local supermarket or whatever I can doctor up. Jungle JimâÂÂs also has the âÂÂlargest fiery foods show in the Midwest (The weekend of fire).â If you are ever in the area it is worth a look. They also have thousands of different cheeses, beer, wine, candy, exotic meat, and really anything you can imagine from all over the world.

http://www.junglejims.com/specialty/hotsauce.asp

Here is a link that might be useful: jungle jims hot sauce

• scott123456
    9 years ago

I have had the mad dog 357 pictured above in the silver addition and it was very hot and good. I tried their pure ghost version as well and for some reason it wasnâÂÂt nearly as hot but it did have good flavor. I have also tried many of the Melindas hot sauces and the Melindas XXX Naga Jalokia is by far my favorite of the bunch.

• flo9
    9 years ago

If my 5 varieties of super hots do well and produce this year..... I plan to light everyone's pants on fire!!!!! LOL

We're in a global cooling this year due to the Artic air circulating in circles around it and not so much dispersing like usual... Many farmers will be effected by this even in many other Countries... lets hope for the best our gardens will think warm!

• flo9
    9 years ago

PS... I'm not sure if it is still available.. but grizzly dip has/had a promotion going on.... your choice of various hot sauces and you chose your label.... mine has my name on it etc... the sauces are made by Captain... about a $6 bottle. Mine arrived in the mail about a month ago... it might still be going on and I can't tell since I already registered for it.

Here's their link https://www.mygrizzly.com/modules/Security/Login.aspx

And for knowledge sakes... yep you must give your real name etc... they will ask for the last 4 digits of social.. you must be at least 21 and claim you use tobacco. They generate your info from the DMV etc... very limited info.... they must confirm simply you are 21 or else they will get sued and lose their business license. I get free promotion gifts all the time from a few tobacco companies. ;)

This post was edited by flo9 on Wed, May 21, 14 at 2:12

• flo9
    9 years ago

Scott,

I use to live in Cincinnati and I've shopped there a number of times. It's the best grocery store ever!!!!!!!!!!! HUGE sections and selections of food to buy from basically every Country almost.
    I miss the cheese selections the most and the beer options.

I wish he'd open up a location where I currently live.

• scott123456
    9 years ago

Small world Flo. Yeah I could go broke buying nothing but hot sauce and cheese there lol. I wouldnâÂÂt do my normal shopping there (itâÂÂs almost too much) but it is a great place for specialty items. I mean how do you beat

âÂÂ200,000 square feet of shopping space in each of our stores, there are over 150,000 products from which to chooseâ and atleast 1500 bottles of hot sauce

• tomt226
    9 years ago

The Sontava XX is pretty much eye-wash to me. Bought a bottle Monday, and today, it's pretty much empty. Good flavor. Needs more heat. Gonna pick up a bottle of the XXX tomorrow. Hope it's got some kick...

• scott123456
    9 years ago

I agree Tom I tried the x and xx and was so disappointed in the heat that I didn't give the xxx a try until someone offered me a taste test. I think you will like the xxx more it's much hotter than the xx, but still not crazy hot. I like crazy hot but it's still a good sauce.

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My wife watched as I poured a nice heap of the 357 mad dog on a Del Taco taco last night.
    I got to tell you, it was pretty hot.
    I had throat burn and a little sweating.

Yeah, thus far Melinda's Naga XXX and Sontava IMO are the most flavorful.
    The Vicious Viper is very fruity and packs a little heat too.
    My third favorite.

Stoney

• scott123456
    9 years ago

Sorry Tom, I was talking about Melinda's x , xx , and xxx, not Sontava. I have never had Sontava before. Apparently there is a Melinda's xxxxtra reserve sauce but I haven't had that either. Anyone ever try it?

Stoney- yeah, I remember that mad dog 357 being very hot and hotter than I expected. It felt hotter to me than the listed 600,000 scoville. It was back before I grew superhots though. The pure ghost version, is oddly, not nearly as hot. I was disappointed cause I though t it was going to be even hotter.

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Try Sontava Scott. You won't be disappointed (flavor wise).

Stoney

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

I hate mad dog 357. really I hate extract based sauces. it's just burn. and not the kind of pleasant burn you get from a diluted superhot. it's generally cayenne extract, and I'm not much of a cayenne fan to begin with.

I'd find it more enjoyable to bite into a million scoville pepper, than I would to eat some million scoville extract sauce any day.

that's probably just a matter of personal opinion though.

Sponsored