Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Habanero Bread and Butter pickle recipe

Posted by Cook.50 none (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 17:28

Does anyone have a Habanero Bread and Butter pickle recipe? Tried some store bought ones and they were over the top. Delicious.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Habanero Bread and Butter pickle recipe

Easy. Stick some habaneros in with the cukes. Stand back.

o

Add a bhut in and they are even better. Fire & ice pickles!

o

Here's one that I've use for several years. It's basically a B&B pickle recipe for Jalapenos, but I've used it for many thick-flesh peppers. Don't see why it wouldn't work for habs also.
Fiedlermeister’s Bread & Butter Jalapenos
I adapted a bread and butter pickle recipe, sustituting pepper-- mostly jalapenos. They are very tasty and can either be stored in the fridge without processing--they stay crispy-- or proceessed in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes and stored at room temp.
I usually increase the amts for the brine to be sure I have enough to cover the peppers
1 1/2 to 2 lbs peppers sliced 1/4 " thick
2 medium onions sliced thin
6 ice cubes
1/4 cup coarse ( Kosher ) salt
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
In large bowl combine peppers, onions, salt, and ice. Let stand 1 hour tosssing occassionally.
Fill bowl with water and drain vegetables in a colander. Rinse and drain three times to rinse off all salt. Drain well.
In large pan combine vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil. Add the vegetables and when the liquid barely begins to simmer remove from heat. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
Put in jars with enough brine to cover vegetables and store in the fridge. Ready to eat the next day but I have kept in fridge for many months. really good--crunchy-not too sweet--not too sour.
Enjoy, John A

o

John,

Your recipe sounds good! Hopefully I have a decent harvest this year and can try it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here