Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmforcier_gw

Manganese deficiency - how to deal?

DMForcier
10 years ago

My big Mammoth Jalapeno is into its 4th year. I didn't prune it much and last year's leaves show the inter-venous yellow patches of manganese deficiency. This year I washed the roots and moved into a 7 (?) Gal 5:1:1 pot. I figured whatever deficiency there was in the old soil wouldn't dare to appear in the Holy Mix, yet it has.

New growth isn't vigorous. Now the new leaves are also showing yellow spots. (I'll post pics tomorrow.)

MG fert shows only a small amount of Mn, so how do I - or should I - address the deficiency? Does it depend on pH, other chemistry? Inquiring minds want to know.

Comments (10)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

You only need trace amounts. Click below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manganese

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Woohooman I like the link good info. Also make sure it's not iron deficiency which closely resembles Mn deficiency. Pics please

Mark

This post was edited by habjolokia on Mon, May 20, 13 at 23:11

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Older leaves.

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More older leaves Yeah I know these pictures suck.

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Newer leaves - more suckage.

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

End of suckage.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Any whiteflies, mites, or aphids? Maybe even powdery mildew or other fungal disease. Before adding manganese, you may want to try neem oil or a copper fungicide to see if the problem persists.

Kevin

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Some bacterial spots may have also started, it looks very close to it, and there is definitely points of entry for bacteria.

I'd go with woohooman's advice and hit it with copper or neem oil. You can alternate with both, spray one product this week, and spray the other product a week later. Always spray after a rainstorm too. Be sure to follow the directions on the label.

Inbetween spray treatments, keep those leaves as dry as possible, and move the affected plants away from your healthy ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: One popular Copper formula, Ortho

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

It does look to be Mn yellow spots with leaf damage. I think it could be a salt build up or possibly ph issue, I would test and adjust. If ph is fine I would flush the soil with lots of water, looks like a well draining mix, let it dry and the hit it up with your MG fert. Hope you get it figured out soon.

Mark

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, there should be leaf damage - those leaves are older than the year. I see no evidence at all of pests.

Mark, my pH meter is on the fritz. It reads white vinegar as 7.0. But the pH should be same as every other container on the property as they are all from the same mix. [Well okay, different batches.]

Correction: I ID'd the wrong plant. This is not the Big Jap #1, it is a one-year old Bonnie Plants Jalapeno. So no great loss, I'd just like to be able to figure it out.

I'll give it extra MG ferts and see how it goes.

Dennis

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz