Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daz1988

haberno pepper is this colour normal?

daz1988
11 years ago

I have a haberno chilli plant about 5inches itall its in my greenhouse and has recently turned a pale green yellowly colour has any one got any ideas what might be wrong im new to the chilli scene and heed some helpful advice.. I water twice a week but have only been watering once a week now incase i was overwatering, is there any specific chilli feeds that might help also growth has slowed down alot now please help many thanks

Comments (6)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

My first thought was over watering. You may still be doing that depending on how much moisture your soil is retaining. Let it get good and dry. Use the stick method to test the soil. Watering on a schedule is not usually the best way to go. It could be other problems but without more info, it is hard to tell. Picures help a lot.
    Bruce

• User
    11 years ago

You got some good advice from Bruce.

Just curious, what potting medium are you using? Has the plant ever been fed? If it's not a watering issue it might be a nutrient issue or a combination of both?

Bill

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Yep, bill is right on the nutrients however, it might not be an issue of not enough nutrients, but too many. Which, in my opinion is usually the case. Soil PH is another possibility. But I would say yellowing leaves is a result of over watering 7 or 8 times out of 10. Especially for new growers. Since monitoring this list over the last year plus, I have learned one important thing regarding almost all plants. I have killed way more plants over the years from over watering than I have under watering them. Just over attention in generally is probably the biggest threat to most plants and Pepper plants in particular. Other than issues with obvious causes, I have found that most of the time, pepper plants will grow out of most problems or (perceived problems) by them selves. I think a lot of times, we just compound the problem by throwing darts at the problem. Less is best in most cases.
    Bruce

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Yeah, I'm a strong proponent of the three W's method of watering my peppers.

When it Wilts, Water it.

If the leaves aren't drooping, then its fine, leave it alone. By waiting until it starts to wilt you do two things:

1) Ensures you are not over watering. That alone will save you so much trouble and headache that you wouldn't believe it.

2) Encourages better root growth. If you water frequently, the plant always has easy access to water, so it doesn't need deep roots and so it won't bother to grow them. As the soil dries out, the plant naturally starts digging deeper to look for more water, so waiting for just a little bit of wilting shows that the plant is growing better roots.

Ideally you would want to watch and get a feel for when the plant will wilt and water it *JUST* before then to avoid stressing it as much, but making it go an extra few hours to a day without water won't do it any real harm, whereas over watering it will do a lot of harm.

• daz1988
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your advice.. It has not been fed which kind of made me think lack of nutrients but am unsure which feed to use because iv heard chili peppers dont enjoy too much nitrogen, it is in a multipurpose compost.. I would post a photo but this is the first time iv ever used a forum so am unsure on how to do it.. There are also black edges on some leaves im going to use the advice and water less frequently, the compost is also a bit green on the top should i change the compost and repot once again thank you all for your advice

• User
    11 years ago

It's in the greenhouse then I assume it's a potted Hab.

Yellowish with black edges forming on leaves. It could be over watering or a sign of nutrient deficiency or both.

I'm not sure what a "multipurpose compost" is, but then again I'm not sure of a lot of things ;-) Straight compost is too dense a medium for potted plants. It also retains a lot of moisture. You typically want to pot your plants with a store bought potting mix or mix up your own. Compost can be added, say, up to a 25% ratio if you like.

One other thing with compost, it's an organic medium. Depending upon how ripe it is, nutrients are released at a slower rate compared to non-organic nutrients where they are ready for the plant's immediate use.

The green growth (moss?) indicates that your potting medium is too moist. At this point, I'd re-pot it in a store bought potting mix and give it a water feeding of 1/2 strength 10-10-10 store bought plant fertilizer with micro-nutrients. Don't water it again until it needs it as per Bruce's stick test suggestion.

You heard pepper plants don't enjoy too much nitrogen. Like all fruiting plants they need nitrogen but if they get too much they focus on putting out great foliage at the expense of fruit.

Just my 2 pence. Others may suggest otherwise.

Bill

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus