Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gill_s

Pimiento Padron Peppers Leaf Curl/Yellowing

Gill_S
10 years ago

Hello All-
I have a pimiento padron pepper plant in a 2 gallon container(nursery bought and planted on April 20th @ approx 4 inches tall). It did great until the last 7-10 days and then the top leaves started to show crinkle/curl and a bit yellowness. The plant is about 1-1/2 feet tall now.

Soil Contains: Coconut Coir, Sand, Red Lava, Dolomite Lime, Nitroform 38-0-0, Iron Sulfate, Triple Superphosphate, Calcium Nitrate

Container Size: 2 Gallons(Black Plastic)

1 Feeding 3 days ago with organic fertilizer(soil top mix) that has 9% calcium and 4% nitrogen. Can't remember what else is there.

The weather here in my city(in San Francisco Bay Area) has fluctuated from 58 to 80 in the last month. Fog, clouds, extreme sun, wind and even one little shower.

I water it every time I see the top leaves/stems wilt by about 45degrees. Around 6 hours of south facing sun(5 days a week) Never water on the leaves. There are around 10+ flowers on the plant. The little drops of water you see on the leaves are from last night's little drizzle.

Just today I noticed that my Thai Dragon Chilli plant has started to show the same signs(early signs).

No pests other than when I checked all over the plant, I found one little 2cm or so light green larve type crawly. Have seen one or two like those on my lettuce, mustard and radish leaves. Removed them all.

Any help on correcting the issue? Read extensively and I can only think of calcium deficiency. Since I applied fertilizer, should I wait and see?

Thanks much and please excuse if something is not right in the post - first timer here!

Comments (7)

• Gill_S
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My apologies, I am in USDA Zone 9 and not 17

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

I think Zone 17 is the First Circle of Hell. Glad you're not there.

Doesn't look too bad to me. I had a few C.annuum (especially) with the curly leaves. They seem to have grown out it.

How are you feeding?

• Gill_S
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply DMForcier!

As for the fertilizer, which I only fed once, I mixed 1.5 tblspoon's in the top soil and watered. I always water(hose) just to the point that there is little seepage from the bottom holes of the pot. So I water an Inch or so and wait and see if there is any seepage, if not, I water a bit more.

Water frequency, I would say it is every 2-3 days. If I wait more, the top of the plant, both leaves and stems start leaning. Happens most of the days that the sun is out but the plant is always happy in the morning.

From all the readings, my first guess was calcium deficiency but I am also taking precautions if just in case I was over-watering.
    I have moved it on the deck yesterday morning with plans to cut the sun light to 5 hrs so that I can check on if over-watering is an issue. If I leave it at the spot where it was always, I will definitely have to water it every 2-3 days because of the top wilting. The picture shows where it was and it is south facing. Hope I am making the right moves.

Other than a stop in growth for one of my tomatoes(cherry variety for containers) touch-wood, all my other plants are so far happy.

• abnorm
    10 years ago

Where is that Zone 9 ?

I'm thinking bugs like thrips.....start with soap spray at dusk.....strong hose spray in the AM

Clip the funky branch tips.....they will never amount to much.....allow new growth to start

doug

• Gill_S
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Doug: Zone 9 in California. Postal code 94706.

Checked thoroughly, no bugs at all except the one larvae kind that is on radishes and lettuce etc(very small). Thanks for the tip about removing the tips. Unfortunately that will be all the plant tips since all new growth is curled to a certain extent. Will start by removing a few and if things don't get better, I guess all will have to go.

Anyone; this would not have anything to do with the size of the container, i.e the root system? It is in a 2g container. As posted above, the soil was great quality.

• Phildeez
    10 years ago

I am north of you in the Sacramento area. My peppers in a certain raised bed that I used some compost that was unfinished and high in N are very curled. I also experienced curling in seedlings when I fertilized too early. Possibly you have slightly too much nitrogen?

Last year a number of my annuums were extremely curled and they all grew out of it and produced normally. As an experiment this year I topped a few of the curled ones and left others, we will see how they differ by the end.

I would just continue to water then and avoid any more nitrogen.

• Gill_S
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback all! I will update if I see any changes.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery