Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stoneys_fatali

Question about rain.

stoneys_fatali
9 years ago

Several forecasters are calling for an El Nino event possibly coming for end of summer into winter where Southern California and the West Coast is going to get dumped on.
My in-grounds really don't have a choice but how much rain/water can a pepper plant take?
Would it be okay to leave the container ones out or should I bring em in?
Thoughts.

Stoney

Comments (6)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

It is best for peppers to dry out somewhat between waterings. If you are getting too much rain too often for that to happen, then I would consider bringing them in. Kind of a play it by ear type thing. You in ground plants will be OK as long as they are in well draining soil where the water isn't pooling around them. Sounds like you guys probably need the rain though.
    Good luck,
    Bruce

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Bruce.

Yeah we do need the rain..badly.
    We have very well draining soil here. It's very sandy and rocky.

Stoney

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

I leave my posts out in the downpour. It's not plants in containers rather the soil or soilless mix. I add a lot of perlite to my mix and it quickly drains so the rain does not stand a chance at waterlogging my pots. Never had an issue so if you have the right mix then it should be no issue. I prefer my plants to get as much rain water rather than tap that's been left to sit 24 hrs.

Mark

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

We had a LOT of rain last year in Atlanta. My plants were all in 5:1:1 and stayed out 24/7. They did very well with no apparent over-watering issues. Ferts might be washed through before they could be used but I wasn't depending on them anyway. I suppose the major impact was that the clouds blocked the full sun.

What mix is in your pots?

Dennis

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm using E.B. Stone potting soil. I like it. It drains very well but could use mor pumice. I think I'll buy a bag of perlite and mix that in with it next time.
    I've keep hearing about the pro-mix.
    #1, can't find it anywhere around here and #2, it's so expensive?

I think the E.B. will do just fine. My plants really seem to like it with the bat crap and worm castings.

Stoney

• seysonn
    9 years ago

You can always cover you pots (not the plants) to protect from excess rain. It is easy and simple. Here it is;

1- cut a circular plastic (heavy gauge is better),, several inched bigger than the diameter of the pot (THIS IS FOR ROUND POTS)

2- cut a hole in the center, (say 2" in diameter.

3- make a cut from a point on edge to center. What you'll have is somethin like that is used to cover xmas tree dish.
    4- When you expect heavy rain slip that over the pot(Under the plant) and pin the cut edges together to keep it in place, in case it is windy.

You can do this for your inground plants too.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia