Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obchili

First Peppers In their New Home

obchili
9 years ago

Hi there. Just thought I would also share this here for all to see what I have been up to. As well as a thanks for the help through my first year growing. Enjoy.

Comments (14)

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Nice.

What pepper types?

Stoney

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

Great job! Very nice!

You put in a lot of energy to get this far, you must be happy with your results.

Looking forward to updates.

Bill

ps. What Stoney asked... what ya got going there?

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the compliments.
    I will post the types per picture. First is back row, second is front. ie. back, front, back, front (left to right)

Picture #2
    Carolina Reaper, Empty Space, Bhut Jolokia, Bhut Jolokia, Bhut Jolokia, Bhut Jolokia, Brainstrain, Brainstain.

Picture #3
    7 Pot Douglah, 7 Pot Douglah, 7 Pot Douglah, Caribbean Red, Caribbean Red, Rocoto, Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, Followed by an empty space then those in picture#1

Picture #4
    Jim Nardello, Jim Nardello, Trinidad Perfume, Trinidad Perfume, Hungarian Wax, Hungarian Wax, Early California Wonder, Early California Wonder, Then those in picture #3 start, 7 Pot Douglah, 7 Pot Douglah, 7 Pot Douglah, Caribbean Red, Caribbean Red, Rocoto(barely visible in bottom right corner.

• ottawapepper
    9 years ago

obchill,

Looking at your shots again, there's quite a few peppers in there.

The front / back ones are pretty close. When they take off you may have a spacing issue. Can you spread a few out to another area?

Bill

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

I was thinking the same as Bill. If anything I would have staggered them instead of one in front of the other.

But since they're supper hots, if the plants are a bit crowded and as a result don't produce as much as possible, you will still end up with tons of heat. ;)

Nice looking planter.

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the compliments. As for spreading them out, there is no real possibility this year as my main garden is going to be full on its own, as well as the fact that I will be watering my main garden lots due to planting my melons, pumpkins, etc. I had originally planned on staggering the plants, but forgot all about it while planting them. So I played the holy guy planting them two-by-two.... I will say that this has been a learning curve this year, and I will definitely learn from this. As long as I can get a few pods per variety I would be very happy.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Nice box and lookin great!

I agree about the spacing. What I would have done is since you have multiple plants of the same varieties is to have normal spacing and have less plants. For instance, one Bhut in normal spacing will give you tons of pods. With the extra plants, I would've just went and got buckets and potting mix. Those superhots at the back of the fence are going to need way more room.

Anyhow, nice job!

Kevin

• don555
    9 years ago

Are you really zone 3 as your header suggests? If so, space concerns may not be nearly as big an issue as the warmer climate growers suggest.... from another zone 3 gardener.

• shechar
    9 years ago

Beautiful raised bed!

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Another thing that concerns me is planting so close to the privacy fence. You can see in the first photo that the sun is on the other side either at sunrise or sunset. That may cut down your needed 5-6hrs of full sun to about 4, or even less.

Where I live (lower latitude than you), in the summer the sun shines in my north facing windows at both sunrise and sunset. This means I lose about a foot of garden space to shade on the south side of my house. I have to be careful not to plant too close to the house in the spring while it's still sunny there.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yah, I think the spacing is going to be fine. They plants will grow fine but probably not as big individually. Your harvests may be be reduced a little but probably still better than growing less plants. The fence behind might further cramp your peppers but again they will likely adapt OK. As far as the sun exposure goes, that could be the biggest problem with the fence so close. I hope the raised garden is on the south side of the fence. Otherwise, in zone 3, they are going to be starved for direct sunlight which again will impact your production...probably more so than the other issues.
    Good luck, keep us updated.
    Bruce

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@don555
    From what I found, I am in zone 3 or 3a. I am near Winnipeg, Manitoba.

@mecdave
    Yes it is planted right at the corner of my fence. It's location is in the north-east corner of my yard with a south view.

@esox07
    Yes it is on the south side of the fence.

Thank you.

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

I just wonder what you're going to do if they do produce well. That's a lot of heat for 50 people, so I hope you have friends who like spicy food. I grew (2) 7 pot Douglah plants last year. They produced far more than I could consume. Either way, the plants look great!

Tim

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@peppernovice
    If they produce well, well, I'll figure that out when that time comes, if it comes. I like growing and having fun. I had originally always wanted to grow a bhut jolokia, but since I quit smoking in December, I needed something to keep me occupied, and here I am. And enjoying it! Thank you for the compliments.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz