Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margowicz

Apache question about feed

margowicz
10 years ago

Hi all I am new to this but I just went to homebase and bought to apache plants they are approx 5 inch big I planted them in John Innes No.2 with horticulture sand instead of perlite.

I do not have a greenhouse yet I may invest in one in winter but as summer I don't think I needed one.

I have been reading all over the net and can't get a proper answer to what to feed the one says use a liquid seaweed extract so I did get one vitax's organic one others saying to use other stuff so I got miracle grows fruit and veg concentrated plant food.

I am wondering what is best for a starting plant and should I change when the plant matures and about to fruit or is in fruiting.

Also is there anything else ones would recommend... or what do you's use I see feed on amazon and ebay but not 100% convinced they will work.

I had some good results with herbs and I like to be growing these and herbs for cooking would love some help.

Thanks in advance

Comments (5)

• tsheets
    10 years ago

I would just start with the miracle grow.

There's a lot of opinions and a lot of hype / marketing out there. Much of which is tied to organic gardening, which is more difficult in containers.

Personally, I try to keep the in-ground garden organic, but, don't worry about that with my containers. For my containers I use MG and sometimes Foliage Pro 9-3-6 based on recommendations elsewhere on this forum.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Like tsheets mentioned, organic ferts(whether it's compost, guano, worm castings, or the traditional "meals" are going to be difficult to optimize(break down) in small containers. If you have large containers like drums or whiskey barrels, it's not so much an issue.

One thing I've learned though is that if you go the synthetic route, a lot of them don't have calcium and magnesium. So, you may want to go with the foliage pro or supplement with some lime or gypsum.

Kevin

• margowicz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

have would I use the lime with the feed, do I put it in bottle or soil? if in soil hoow long do I leave it to set in?

• margowicz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

have would I use the lime with the feed, do I put it in bottle or soil? if in soil hoow long do I leave it to set in?

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

margowicz: You add it to the soil mix, but you need to be careful with lime because it raises ph levels.

I'm not the expert on this. So, you should probably head over to the container forum, tell them the makeup of your soil mix and the ferts you plan to use and they'll be better suited to tell you how much(if any) to add.

Kevin

Sponsored