Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have a few plants wilting

Posted by ab2008 6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 18:49

photo P052013_1756.jpg

This was taken after I pulled up one of the pretty wilting plants to see if I could see what was going on.

This is one of the tomatoes, but I do have about 4 pepper plants that have done the same. Notice how the plant narrows just before it gets to ground level above the roots? Is this the act of any insects? Or could it be too much moisture? We have had a lot of rain the last couple of days and I just wonder if that's the culprit? Or perhaps today is normal than average after a few days of nothing but cloud cover and such?

I'm kind of at a loss for words because just a day or two ago most of these plants looked perfectly fine. They have been in the ground well over a couple of weeks now.

Most of the larger tomato plants look fine, this one was one of the smaller ones. Just seems odd...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have a few plants wilting

Looks like too small of a root mass for a stalk that size.

The shriveled stalk can be a healed over bacterial infection (damping off), more likely to happen with lots of surfaces wetness and temp fluctuations.

Imho it's early enough in the season to yank out the compromised plants, and just replace them with new ones. The weaklings often become disease vectors in my experience. The weather is probably stabilized for zone 6 now (barring constant rain) so it should be safe to replant.

o

Yes, damping off. Probably too wet, or too cold and too wet. Could be the plants in question were borderline for a while previously and the recent weather tipped things over the edge.

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Tue, May 21, 13 at 11:21

i agree with damping off. Normally I have seen it as an indoors problem, but cold wet conditions outside can do the same thing. I am not sure of your location and recent weather but that is likely the reason given your the symptoms you provide. Do those plants get a lot of direct sun? Has it been wet and cool lately? Once the plants get more mature, they will be less prone to problems like this.
It is still early enough to hit the garden centers for some replacements so just consider it a minor setback at this point.
Bruce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here