Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oregonwoodsmoke

Best Taste

oregonwoodsmoke
13 years ago

I'd like some suggestions for peppers with great flavor. Anywhere from mild to blistering, but I'm not interested in hot just for heat sake; they've got to taste wonderful.

I am raising Poblanos and Long Green (Anaheim type) to cook with, and jalapenos to make chipotle and jalapeno bread. I'm going to smoke some poblanos at the same time I smoke the jalapenos.

I've got something called a Spanish Piquillo. Never heard of it, but it says it's a stuffing pepper, and I said, yeah, I like chilies rellanos.

I'm out of the chili pepper comfort zone, so have to work pretty hard to grow them. I can't have a lot of varieties, but like to try a new one each year and I'm open to suggestions.

I bought seed from New Mexico State University and couldn't believe how fast they all germinated (100%). I've always thought peppers were cranky about germinating.

Comments (12)

• charlesnyc
    13 years ago

i personally like cherry peppers a lot. they are at the top of my list for growing next year after having gotten a few pickled ones at a high end supermarket a few weeks back. mixed in with a hotter pepper in a well-cooked chili, they make for great flavor and texture.

don't discard the superhots though, if used right, they can bring a lot more flavor to a dish than the equivalent amount of hots (ie, i'd rather put one and half habaneros into my dish than 6 cayennes).

• nitis
    13 years ago

I love my habnero jelly easy to make great flavor and not hot at all plus I thought it was rather simple to take care of. you can probably got to home depot and get one already started for this year

• redtailforester
    13 years ago

I have many favorites for different applications. For stuffing, I prefer hot varieties of cherries. For everyday use, I prefer crushed cayennes. Just for the heck of it... I am getting into fresnos.

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

Read all about Chimayo. Chimayo is all about taste. The Champagne of peppers for taste. It is not real hot but has some nice bite to it. Some people will add some hot pepper to the Chimayo for personal taste. You can increase the heat by using more chimayo and that keeps adding flavor.

Chimayo is a winner.

It grows very fast and produces very fast. Grows great in smallish pots. I have grown them in one liter pots just fine. That is half the size of a 2 liter soda bottle. They dry very easy. They will even dry on the plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Info on Chimayo

• simsedward
    13 years ago

I really like mustard habaneros. You can get the seeds from pepper joe's. They are hot like a habanero, but they have a different flavor. Great for hot sauces, chili, etc.

• met365784
    13 years ago

My current favorites are Fresno, red slim cayenne, golden cayenne, chili de arbol. I have a bunch more I'm trying this year but since they haven't produced any ripe pods yet I can't comment on them.

• ajijoe
    13 years ago

hello Oregon

as my screen name suggests

"AJI" peppers are wonderful for flavor and citrus note, and many are not blisteringly hot

my favorites are

AJI YELLOW
    AJI LEMON DROP (Hot)
    AJI OMNI-COLOR
    AJI COLORADO
    AJI LIMON
    AJI PANCA

ALSO BRAZILIAN SPECIES SUCH AS "CUMARI" AND "WILD BRAZIL" BOTH ARE VERY HOT but they dont sacrifice flavor for heat

and last but not least "HABANEROS" HOT BUT AWESOME FLAVOR!!

HUT ALSO SINCE YOU WHERE ON THE SUBJECT OF ANAHEIM PEPPERS THE "RATTLESNAKE ANAHEIM" THEY TASTE VERY NICE WITHOUT MUCH BURN
    (good in omlettes and cheese dishes)

hope this helps thanks your friend joe

• perucho
    13 years ago

I like tasting peppers, many varieties only have heat but not taste, IÂll have to try that Chimayo then.

If you have the chance try some of the Peruvian varieties, I will recommend the Aji Amarillo (Capsicum baccatum), not too hot (about the same as a jalapeno) but full of flavor, try it in a Papa a la Huancaina (Potatos with Huancaina sauce).
    {{gwi:1173589}}

Two related to the Habanero (Capsicum chinesse) are the Panca (only flavor almost no heat) and the Limo (berry flavor, very hot); the last one commonly used in the Ceviche.
    {{gwi:1173591}}

Or just try a very hot Stuffed Rocoto (Capsicum pubescens) like these:
    {{gwi:1173593}}{{gwi:1173595}}

I still have some rocotos seeds, maybe somebody has chimayos and wants to trade.

• billyberue
    13 years ago

I really like serranos and rat turds. Also, a real hot banana pepper is hard to beat. Hey Perucho, any recipes for those great looking pepper dishes?

• perucho
    13 years ago

Here is a link to the Stuffed hot peppers recipe. Enjoy it!

A few tips:
    Boiling the rocotos is done to lower the heat, so do it accordingly to you own resistance level and taste. Instead of using salt and vinegar on the water just throw some potato peels, they will take the heat out better and you can use the potatoes to serve them with the rocotos.

Aji panca is used for flavor and color (no heat), but if you donÂt have it, you can use paprika instead, not the same taste but al least the color is close enough.

I havenÂt try that recipe yet but I will as soon as my plants will produce me some rocotos, let me know if you try it.

• thenewmidwestchilehead
    13 years ago

If you like somewhat mild chiles, you can't go wrong with most of the New Mexico types. Two refreshed varieties, the Heritage Big Jim and the Heritage 6-4 are supposed to have lots of flavor and a little more heat than the old varieties. This is my first year growing them, so I'll let you know in July or August. The Sandia is supposed to be hot and great for drying and turning into red chile. If you like it hot and green, go for the Barker chile. Chimayo is a good choice too.

Perucho, I have Chimayo seeds and will trade for some rocotos.

• chilemilio
    13 years ago

I think you have a lot of options for getting taste out of different types of chiles.. first, if you have the patience, you can control the heat a chile imparts on a dish by wearing some gloves, and trimming out as much of the veins/seeds as you want. less heat, more chiles = more chile flavor

for me its more of a matter of what to do with what types of chiles:
    -smaller east/south asian types of chiles are good for drying, and using for a chile paste (sambal style) or indian style cooking (fry in oil before throwing food in)
    -pickling (quick pickling isn't that complicated)
    -roasting (people pay big money for a roasted piquillo stuffed with a white cheese at a lot of restaurants)
    -salsas (only herbs, acidity, and chiles required)
    -sauces

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz