Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kclost

New leaves small and brittle looking

kclost
9 years ago

My plants are recovering from hail damage and a couple nights of heavy frost. The new growth that I'm seeing since the frost shows numerous very small leaves that are slightly curled and have a wrinkled appearance. Is this normal or do I have possibly have some kind of nutrient deficiency?

Most of my plants are doing this, it is happening on Reapers, 7 pots and Trinidad Moruga Scorpions.

Thanks for you help..

Comments (15)

• kclost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a close up.

This post was edited by kclost on Fri, May 30, 14 at 19:32

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Sorry to say this, but that's herbicide damage.

Any weed killers used in the area?
    What is in the growing mix? Any manures or compost?

• kclost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is what it looks like to me also. If it is, it has to be from grass clippings. Is that possible if weed and feed was used on the lawn months earlier?

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Yes.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

KC, you probably nailed it.
    Then I know that tomatoes are super sensitive but I did not know how sensitive peppers are.

• kclost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have good news. My plants in the garden seem to be coming out of it and are producing more normal looking leaves now. I do not believe the small brittle leaves were because of herbicide. Because I went and took a picture of some plants I sold to a nursery and they appear to be looking the same way as mine did, still in the original MG planting soil. Take a look. I still don't know what was going on though.

This post was edited by kclost on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 16:41

• jean001a
    9 years ago

When plants receive a low -- non-lethal -- dose, new growth will distort but will return to normal growth in relatively short order.

• kclost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Double post.

This post was edited by kclost on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 15:21

• kclost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree with you completely. .. But why did the potted plants with no possible herbicide contamination do the same thing in Miracle Grow Starter mix... I really think it had a lot to do with the heavy frost we had.

• don555
    9 years ago

It's due to the cold temps. Extra bad if it was wet and cold. My plants did that last year... put them in planters in zone 3 in late May, looked great, then a cold, wet June made them look so sickly I almost trashed them. Ended up doing great once the warm weather arrived at the start of July. Be patient... at least that's my plan, since my plants seem to be doing the same this year, LOL.

• kclost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That seems logical, especially since I almost lost them all due to a few nights of heavy frost...

Thanks...

• sjetski
    9 years ago

The squiggly center veins and shriveled top growth is due to toxicity; herbicide, pesticide, etc. It can drift in the wind up to a 1/2 mile (herbicide drift) affecting plants in ground and in pots. The larger, more mature leaves are better able to withstand toxins. But i don't believe it causes a yellowing of the entire plant.

Frost and cold damage starts with yellowing, then wilting, then comes the necrosis etc.

My guess is that you're dealing with both, since the plants do not look very green.

Your plants will grow out of it, i would only snip off branches that are 100% dead, otherwise i'd leave it alone. Good luck either way.

Steve

This post was edited by sjetski on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 13:16

• kclost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This plant is still in the M.G. Potting mix at a very reputable nursery and it also has the squiggly center vein. So, since I'm positive that no herbicide contaminated this plant, it has to be caused by the cold. We had two nights of heavy frost, they were saved by covering them up or by spraying them with water.

The new growth affected also all came in after the frosts.
    My plants in my garden are now thriving. I'll post another picture.

• kclost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Entire Garden.... Yesterday.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

They look great in that full garden picture. I wouldnt worry any more about them. Sometimes we stress over things that really don't matter. They seem to be either past the problem or dealing with it just fine.
    Bruce